Not bad

If Trudeau runs for leader, and wins, the Libs will be doing even better.

Then again, this is a poll, and I don’t believe in polls so much anymore. Nope.

26 Responses to “Not bad”

1. Elizabeth says:

Trudeau is also from BC. His mother’s roots are in BC, aren’t they? Grew up there, lost a brother there. He is half Sinclair, who was a BC MP, and a war hero, if I’m not mistaken. Therefore, he is “from Canada”, as much as one individual can be. He’s also smarter than the average bear.

• Jim Hanna says:

Justin is very proud of his Sinclair heritage, from what I have seen. He does have some very deep BC roots and has lived there; I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if he choose to run there if he became leader.

2. frmr disgruntled Con now Happy Lib says:

Re: Addition of 6 new BC ridings…..The Cons appear to be gerry-mandering my riding in order to keep it a safe seat for them……traditionally a swing riding, its been represented by both right and left..Our Con MP’s popularity is slipping….by hitching onto a portion of the bible belt…..theyll keep it, sadly, a safe seat for themselves……

• Les Miller says:

This seems extremely unlikely. Every province has it’s own electoral boundaries commission, the Chair of which is a judge appointed by the Chief Justice of the province in question. The other two members of the commissions are appointed by the Speaker of the House of Commons, but are completely independent once appointed. No sitting member of a federal or provincial legislature can be appointed, nor can a sitting Senator. The House of Commons does review the commissions reports, and the commissions take comments and suggestions from the sitting MPs who offer them. However, they are under no obligation to act on these comments and suggestions. The commissions make all of the final decisions on electoral boundaries.

If you’re concerned about the process, you can go to http://www.federal-redistribution.ca to find out who comprises your province’s commission, what their recommendations are, and when and where public hearings will be held on the commissions recommendations.

3. JamesHalifax says:

I agree with Warren…..

I’ll wait until 2015, and then look at the polls. Even then, I wouldn’t be too impressed with any poll given what we’ve seen in the past. Lately, they always fall into the probability that refutes the poll.

4. Tim says:

Justin Trudeau will be our next PM if he decides that’s who he wants to be. He would win seats in every province and fare surprisingly well in Quebec, not unlike his Dad and Jean Chretien.

All the rest is just tea leaves and chicken droppings at this point.

I’m glad I’m not Justin, this cannot be an easy decision, even for a guy like him.

5. Jordan says:

Yes because Chretien did such a HORRIBLE job at being a federalist.

6. W the K - No, not Warren says:

Either you are very young or you don’t read any history.

7. Jim Hanna says:

“To be tough against the Quebec separatists, the next PM of Canada must be from Canada, not Quebec.”

Last time I checked, Quebec was part of Canada, so your statement makes no sense. And its precisely that type of sloppy thinking that the PQ has been trying to use to indoctrinate people into the idea there is entity called ” Canada” that exists apart from Quebec. There isn’t.

I assume you meant ” the next PM of Canada must be from outside Quebec” but even that is untenable. During the last two referedums (three if you include the Charlottetown debacle) the PM of the day was from Quebec.

As for the day after a “yes” vote, should it come to that, it doesnt’ matter if the PM is from Calgary or Chicoutimi, he or she would not have any mandate to negotiate seperation, and its entirely unclear what the postion of the other provinces would be towards maintaining a federation with the others under the current model.

8. Ted H says:

The next PM must be from Canada, not Alberta.

9. smelter rat says:

Misinformation and uniformed speculation.

10. Jason King says:

““History” is my middle name…I even voted for Diefenbaker…top that!!”

Well I built the website for the Canadian Institute of Theoretical Physics. I got to meet Chretien and a whole bunch of other people.

When I lived in London I once saw the queen when I was coming out of the grocers.

I have a real interest in antiquity history and have been to ruins all over Europe. Im partial to Pompeii.

Topped three times Ron.

11. Jason King says:

That analogy could be used for most people having their head removed. Not sure if that would make a difference for you Ron.

12. Jason King says:

Uhoh someone just had a partisan shitfit clog up their vocal pipe

13. Scott Tribe says:

The other Liberal PM from Quebec did pretty well – Pierre Trudeau was his name.

14. smelter rat says:

Take it easy on him. He’s new to the interweb. Like a teen with a hard on.

15. Marc-André Chiasson says:

A few of the following Canadian Prime Ministers born in the province of Quebec did pretty well in the federalist arena, n’est-ce pas? In my humble opinion, if we must once again face a referendum on the separation of Quebec (and that’s a big “if”), the province of origin of the leader of the federalist forces—presumably the Prime Minister—is irrelevant as long as he or she truly understands and loves both Quebec and the ROC sufficiently to help us all better understand the diversity that make up this great country of ours…and bridge our differences.

(Conservative) Sir John Joseph Caldwell Abbott, Saint-André-Est
    (Liberal) Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Saint-Lin
    (Liberal) Louis St. Laurent, Compton
    (Liberal) Pierre Trudeau, Montreal
    (Conservative) Brian Mulroney, Baie-Comeau
    (Liberal) Jean Chrétien, Shawinigan

16. smelter rat says:

Don’t flatter yourself. There are many non-dippers on this board who could chew you up , spit you out and never break a sweat. You might want to quit while you can.

17. smelter rat says:

Ron, sometimes it’s OK not to get the last word in.

18. The Doctor says:

Oh yeah, I forgot that Alberta’s not part of Canada. I learn a lot from the smart people on this website.

19. Jon Adams says:

Zing, I guess.

20. Ted H says:

What, you mean they never did build that firewall?

21. JamesHalifax says:

Jason, if you want to see some very impressive ruins….go to Jordan and visit PETRA.

Very cool.