Everyone should hate Marineland

Amazing investigative reporting by Linda Diebel. A must read.

It is also long, long overdue. Those of us who work for animal protection/welfare – my firm has worked for years for the OSPCA, the Humane Society of Canada and the Humane Society of the United States, and against seal and whale hunting – detest Marineland and have been pressuring to get it shut down. We haven’t been successful.

Hopefully Linda’s reporting will finally do that. We shall see.

20 Responses to “Everyone should hate Marineland”

1. Clive says:

Hear, hear. For once, I am completely with you.

2. Dan F says:

Also, those damn annoying commercials!! Every time one comes on I suddenly have the urge to kill someone, and I’m usually a very calm person

3. Scott Tribe says:

By the way, I will add this story make a good argument for bringing in government regulations on how a zoo or theme park with animals should be operated. I hope Premier Mcguinty looks at this story and realizes it’s badly needed. Self governing bodies simply don’t work.

4. Cath says:

I have NEVER loved Marineland. Never took my kids there and when their school had field trips there I took them out of school for that day and did something else.

Good of you to draw attention to this column.

5. Cath says:

A good way to start is to discourage schools from taking students there.

6. Elizabeth says:

That’s quite disgusting; I don’t understand how the government allows the place to continue operating. Kudos to the reporter who has done the investigating, it sounds like its long overdue. I’ve heard a lot more about the elephant in the Edmonton Zoo than I have about this. I’ll never visit the place, but I’m not a fan of zoos in general. I can believe the staffing problem – not just staffing but finding people with compassion and common sense, animal sense. Take the animals back to the ocean – at least let them have a last look at their home.

7. KP says:

Wait, so all those ads I’ve been seeing on the Weather Network for the past 20 years with that awful jingle were wrong? Can I at least still love the sky-screamer?

8. Marlowe Johnson says:

I made the mistake of taking my 6yr daughter there a couple of weeks ago. The place hasn’t changed since I was last there 30 years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if the recent bad (and well deserved) publicity finally puts it out of its misery.

9. Mom says:

Another great piece of investigative reporting by the Star. And while you are listing creatures that should not be harmed, please don’t forget about the Sharks. Toronto City Council was right to take a stand on shark fins!

• sandra says:

Absolutely. The practice of taking these grand animals out of the ocean, cutting their fins off and throwing them back to die in agony is so wrong. Just so someone can eat soup. When will we learn.

10. Lib observer says:

Warren, comparing Marineland to the seal fishery is a complete disservice to the hard working fishermen who engage in the seal fishery to make a living. It is the most humane fishery in the world, but unfortunately people like you are making the best living off it. I wonder if seals were ugly like lobsters if you would be engaged by an humane society to lobby against it. I don’t see any big lobby against the lobster fishery!!!!!!!

11. Christian says:

Disgusting, repulsive, abhorrant, cruel, inhumane. Whatever you want to call it this is just plain wrong. Shut it down now.

• Tim Sullivan says:

Only the Governor General can do that, but there will not be a new government until at least the fixed election date. Sorry.

… oh, you mean Marineland. Nevermind.

12. scot says:

The animals don’t have to be wild. The Calgary Stampede also disgusts me.

13. Elizabeth says:

See also the “Suicide races” in the US, that kill horses yearly — or the cruelty of horse-fighting in Mexico — and the racing industry where you don’t really see the abuse that goes on, or most of the deaths. We have a horse vet who said once “it breaks my heart”, but he puts them back together to race again. All competitive sports involving animals, anywhere where animals are being used for financial gain, there is going to be abuse and deaths, no ifs ands or buts. The horses in the chuck wagon races are those who can’t race on the track for one reason or another, and are usually headed to slaughter; just as they’re slaughtered in Quebec, Ontario and Saskatchewan. If they’re lucky, someone will buy them from a chuck racer for riding, but that’s rare – or they might go for polo. A polo match that I know of last year had a horse drop dead in the middle of a game, but that never made the media. People who have horses can be considerate and kind, or they can treat them like ATVs, with the resulting wear and tear on their bodies.

All ocean animals; turtles, dolphins, seals, whales – none of them should be used for entertainment, but “nothing comes amiss, so money comes withal.” We’ve been taking animals out of the wild to keep them alive and miserable in captivity since at least Roman times.

14. sandra says:

I agree. Horseracing is cruel. We are such an arrogant race. We think everything is on this planet just for us and it’s time it stopped.