Chow for mayor?

She’s no longer doing a Sherman:

“…on Wednesday the Opposition transportation critic, former councillor and widow of former NDP leader Jack Layton acknowledged that Torontonians are begging her to run against the arch-conservative, gaffe-prone Ford.

“I’m still very focused on representing folks in Trinity-Spadina and getting a national city agenda, so we could get more funding to cities and public transit,” Chow said.

“I have been hearing a lot from a lot of people that are encouraging me to run. Every weekend when I’m in Toronto, I get people coming up to me on the street and trying to encourage me, but I’m not considering a run at this moment.

“I’m not considering a run now. Will I consider it? We’ll see what happens down the road. We do need better leadership at city hall.”

If she runs, lots of us would be pretty interested in what she has to say.  It’s time for some adults to start running City Hall again.

13 Responses to “Chow for mayor?”

1. Dan F says:

My question for Chow (and every other progressive, or moderate, or centrist, or even a sane conservative, etc) would be: If there are several credible, qualified, non-crazy candidate who are splitting the vote and it appears that Rob Ford is going to win again, would you be willing to withdraw from the race for the good of the city?

Its an unfortunate feature of our crappy first-past-the-post electoral system that this question even needs to be asked, but the primary objective of everyone in all the the not-crazy wings of the political spectrum has to be to ensure that the next person to be elected mayor is at least qualified to do the job, and that qualified, responsible, professional people of all political stripes are prepared to work together to achieve this end, even where it involves some self-sacrifice.

I would even go so far as to call on Chow to *not* resign her seat as an MP until after the deadline to drop out of the Mayoral race, so that she has that fallback position and isn’t trapped in a race that will see Rob Ford re-elected.

2. Np says:

So the solution to a right wing ideologue is a left wing ideologue? Are we not just trading one headache for another? Properly cutting and managing an over inflated city budget (you know, one of the tasks a mayor will have to perform) is a task that requires a calm/assertive touch, an intelligent eye and a keen sense of understanding of the organization of a municipal government; well outside any ideological construct of left and right wing dogma. Rob Ford tried to perform brain surgery with an axe; but at least he acknowledged there was a problem. Can we seriously expect O. Chow to bring spending under control? Why do my choices always have to be between extremes?

John Tory, where the hell are you? Oh that’s right, our political climate doesn’t allow for intelligent moderates to get elected.

• Dan F says:

Even as a left-wing ideologue, Chow is far more qualified for the job then Ford, and would at least behave in a professional way that would not bring embarrassment to the city. I would say the same about Mr. Tory – Even those who disagree with his politics recognize that he’s a professional and would be competent and more then capable of doing the job. In fact, I’m hard pressed to think of anyone at any point on the political spectrum who is less qualified to be Mayor then the current occupant of the office, but if anyone can think of one, then maybe we can get them to run and split the unqualified & unprofessional vote and allow a responsible candidate to win.

• Np says:

“…but if anyone can think of one, then maybe we can get them to run and split the unqualified & unprofessional vote and allow a responsible candidate to win.”

That is absolutely brilliant! It would work too! Find a person with an even simpler/angrier populist message with and split the angry/unaware-of-how-a-city-actually-runs vote and let an intelligent person come right up the middle. I absolutely love this idea!

3. Kaplan says:

Chow’s personal politics are left wing, but she strikes me as the type of leader who can compromise for the greater good (unlike a certain Neanderthal running the place now). I think she’s tough, smart, but also fair and someone who could recognize the limitations of her office should she stake out a rigid ideological path as mayor.

We’ll see.

4. Dan says:

But if she decided not to run and remain a New Democrat, you would not be interested in what she has to say, and would fight it tooth and nail.

Unless merger talks re-open. In which case, you’d be very interested in what she has to say, as you have more in common with her than not.

Unless the merger talks shut down again, in which case, her ideas are dangerous and her Conservative critics are right.

Unless the NDP collapses, in which case, the Conservatives are wrong.

Unless we’re in BC. In which case, Conservatives need to support the Liberal party.

… see why people don’t know what the Liberal party stands for?

• Warren says:

I’m not the Liberal Party, nitwit. I’m me. And I live in this city, and care about it, and am pissed off about what the Fords are doing to it.

Chow is someone I’d be happy to support, if she ran. Which, so far, she hasn’t.

5. Michael says:

In a head to head contest between Chow and Ford, I don’t see Chow winning.

Sure she would carry the old City of Toronto, but she is dead in the water in the suburbs. And last time I checked there are more people in the burbs than there are downtown.

6. Reality.Bites says:

I don’t understand you James – I know Ford’s got major boobage going on, but he’s not female. Because when you’re talking about less economic competency than, well, anyone, you can only be talking about Ford.