02.04.2013 10:57 AM

That farmer ad

My God, this is just incredible. ┬áIf someone had figured out how to fashion this into a political ad, they’d be President of the United States right about now.

Sent shivers up my spine, and I suspect I’m not alone.

Kevin says:

You got that right! It’s also up to almost 600,000 views.

The name “Paul Harvey” that appears at the start of the video didn’t mean anything at first. Then the narration started. That’s got to be the most recognized voice in radio. Everyone has heard the “Rest of the Story” series. Legendary.

frmr disgruntled Con now Happy Lib says:

I remember a farmer’s wife telling me that it took a special kind of person to work twice as hard as most for half the wages……this commercial brought that home…..
    Interesting that a certain Liberal leadership candidate would like to see dairy farmers go back to those days of working twice as hard for half the wages……

• Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
      po'd says:

Yeah, and she based her presumptions on 4 litres of milk retailing for $10.00

If she wants to have a go at the cheese guys, particularly the one from Montreal that’s one thing, but Dairy farmers don’t have any input on corporate cheese manufacturing or retail packaging and prices.

As a once upon a time farmer, the lady sticks in my craw.

!o! says:

sheesh, no kidding.

Sean says:

yes, worthy of Don Draper and Pete Campbell

CM says:

I don’t believe in God. I don’t drive a pick-up truck and probably never will. I’ve watched this ad a few times now and it chokes me up. The ad brings a tear to my eye and makes me wonder why I never became a farmer. It makes me want to protect farmers and punch anyone who would look down on one. This ad is a kick to my solar plexus. It manipulates me and I know it. Brilliant.

Sean Cummings says:

Canada has a Paul Harvey, too – his name is Stuart Mclean

cynical says:

I doubt that Mclean’s politics are anywhere close to what Harvey’s were. Think McCarthy. Much of his broadcasting was propaganda.

Sean Cummings says:

I was referring to the storyteller aspect of both men, not their politics.

Cynical says:

I recognize that, but Harvey’s role in US right-wing politics overshadows any of his more benign aspects, IMHO. And yes, a tear fell from my eye watching the RAM commercial. It was because I really, really want a BFT and can’t afford one.

Sean Cummings says:

Gotcha – I don’t care about either man’s politics. I like their stories.

ray says:

from a song I wrote a month or so ago

have you met your future king
    drives a John Deere tractor / with rusty springs
    and works morning till midnight
    just growing things
    just growing things

like his father before him, and his next of kin
    working morning till midnight
    just growing things
    just growing things

Christmas decorations line the back porch swing
    nobody notices / till the harvest is in
    when you work morning till midnight
    just growing things
    like your father before you / and your next of kin
    working morning till midnight
    just growing things
    just growing things

we shuffle paper / and count lots of things
    when the crash comes / will we sink or swim
    or work morning till midnight
    just growing things
    like our fathers before us/ and our next of kin
    working morning till midnight
    just growing things
    just growing things

Stew B says:

Pure Genius Warren, for sure. The LPC would die for an adman with such imagination. Watch Chrysler’s Dogde Ram sales increase in the next quarter.

9. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Raymond says:

Brings a tear to my eye thinking about Grandad.

Thanks for that.

10. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Lynn says:

Very nice and since we are all peeling onions or something is in our eyes, have a look at this one as well. If you are a pet person get out your tissues. Similar tone to the truck ad.
    It is a budweiser ad and I was wiping the tears at the end of it when I saw it this am.
    (don’t see it on you tube, sorry for the gossip site link)

So Warren are advertisers finding a new way to get our attention with these types of ads? A throwback to earlier advertising? How could political parties use it? I think it could be very powerful used by a party if done well (hint).

11. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Philippe says:

So Powerful. So much respect for those who put food on my table.

12. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    kelly says:

I thought it was a bit patronizing. Their mistake was to show product. At that point its made clear the only purpose is to sell trucks and that the whole thing is bullshit.

13. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    G. Babbitt says:

Ah yes that is American farmer all right. The Mexican temporary and illegal workers who actually do the work are not photogenic enough.

Cynical says:

There are lots of American farmers, and Canadian ones too, who are doing their own work. AND working a shift at Walmart or doing construction to keep the operation going. Not that there aren’t lots of illegals in agriculture. Not in dry-land farming though. It is highly skilled work.

14. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    J.H. says:

Not much chance any political party or politician in Canada can use this type of ad. First they’d have to convince folks they don’t live to be insiders in the Ottawa bubble & don’t worship at the feet of Toronto’s elites – no matter what poltical stripe they may be. Highly unlikely they’d be believed by folks anyway.

15. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Al in Cranbrook says:

My Dad was a dairy farmer most of his working life.

Choked me up, because it was the truth.

16. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Herman Thind says:

Wow. Amazing ad. Create the idol… Create the worship…

I come from a family of farmers – we still own land – and deeply respect farmers (particularly the ones struggling to make do). This ad will be an “ad anthem” for farmers for many months… A lot like the “I am Canadian” ads from Molson back before they sold out to a foreign brewery…

17. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Derek Pearce says:

Excellently crafted ad. Pure genius, and it’ll sell trucks. But I’m a bit humbug when it comes to this idea that farmers, first nations people, Amish/Menonites or just anyone who generally doesn’t live in a city is automatically considered more morally upright or more “real.” Nevertheless, the idea that they are is part of the wider culture and thus the ad is very, very good.

18. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Colin Thornton says:

Nice alliteration: God, Guts & Glory.