Turns out he really didn’t didn’t come back for you

Here.

I like the initiative: equal marriage is good.  What I don’t like is that Michael Ignatieff has now irrevocably fulfilled the Conservative Party’s prophesy about him: he really does see himself as an American – here, an “American leader” – after all.

H/T Kirbie and Lilley.

18 Responses to “Turns out he really didn’t didn’t come back for you”

1. Dick Richards says:

Sounds like he’s found a nice home. Godspeed Michael.

2. Warren says:

It pisses me off.

3. Chubsy Ubsy says:

I think what Warren is getting at is `was he really interested in Canada at all?” Don’t shoot the messenger, Dan F. Don’t forget that HE DID get elected to a seat in Federal Parliament. Canada was kind to him.

4. J.W. says:

I accept Ignatieff as a sincere person. I don’t think he deceived anyone or was dishonest toward Liberals or Canadians, yesterday or today.
    He sees it as an important issue without borders.
    I don’t think he sees borders as these big heavy lines that most other Canadians do. In that he is different.

5. Ronald O'Dowd says:

Warren,

I think one can safely say that any politician or aspiring politician looks out for number one first. Some mark time in academia — others in prestigious jobs on foreign soil…

I get where you’re coming from and it has relevance but until he takes out citizenship, I will give him and the other American “leaders” the benefit of the doubt. Surely, others on that list are passing for part of the American enlightened without actually being Americans.

• J.W. says:

I guess you are referring to Carney, who has presumably burned his bridges and could never return in a political role. Or maybe any public service position?

6. Elizabeth says:

I think he was used by the Liberal party; they thought he’d make a great saviour, and they went and got him, didn’t they? He thought he could be PM of Canada.
    I liked him, but I was disappointed that he didn’t fight back harder and slam Harper more thoroughly, or at all. Truth is, you do have to live in Canada to understand it.
    Ignatieff does not have political instincts, he’s an academic. Warren K has political instincts, is frequently right, and isn’t an academic. Different species altogether.

Interesting that a younger Justin Trudeau was at some point quoted as saying that he didn’t think Ignatieff had the “wisdom” to be a PM, or leader of the LPC. I think he was criticized for that, or asked to explain.
    Somebody’s a lot smarter than people give him credit for.

Also, if I’d gone through what Ignatieff went through – I’d leave the country too.

• Ronald O'Dowd says:

Elizabeth,

I have absolutely no inside knowledge but my impression is that Michael and Zsuzsanna eventually decided that they’d had enough after losing his seat. Sure, he could have been by-electioned into the safest Liberal seat in Canada — but it might have been a long pause waiting for the prime ministerial pleasure. In addition, crawling out of the electoral hole would have been long and incredibly difficult. So, in the final analysis, both they and the party cut their losses and called it a day. When they left, I didn’t hear too many complaints. I guess some people end up being damned if they do and damned when they don’t.

7. Philippe says:

Just visiting…

8. Mulletaur says:

No, “we” can’t. He all but destroyed what was left of the Liberal Party of Canada after the depredations of the Martinets and the ‘Reign of Error’ of Dion. He deserves to be vilified on a daily basis and publicly humiliated at every opportunity. He’s an arrogant upper class twit whose ambition far outstrips his abilities, an intellectual poseur, an international embarrassment to Canada and Canadians. If he had an ounce of humility or honour, he would renounce his Canadian citizenship forthwith.

9. Mark Jonson says:

The Ignatieff debacle was yet another barroom brawl within the Liberal Party – at it’s core, a liberal-hawk (somewhat contradictory concept) faction and a largely Quebecois faction led by Chretien, buttressed by young Trudeau (this is how Dion got installed, remember the convention?) – I suspect that had the Ignatieff concept not lost momentum by the Dion fiasco, things could have been better.

Say what you will, but I don’t think anyone on these posts could withstand a public shit-kicking like Ignatieff got and stay on their feet. Ignatieff also didn’t support the treasonous coalition thing either.

Sure Ignatieff was/is arrogant (PET was super down-home right?) but I think he did have the most experience. Given his ancestry, one could count on him being absolutely non-Bolshi – something which can’t be said of the Castro loving cliques within the Liberal Party.

Oh well, it’s largely all prearranged like reality TV shows anyway. The way things are going, soon it’s all going to be Little Red White and Blue Books globally. Sad.

10. You been paying attention to Conservative Prophecy ?????

How’s that working out ….? Eased your pain a mite? Or at all ?

Never found solace, direction or use in that myself
    Kinda like jumping from the top rung of the silo ladder
    to try and get ‘grounded’ … get yer feet on the ground ..

What’s next? Following Stephen Harper doctrine ?
    Is that where you climb the silo ladder upside down.. then let go
    so’s you can get grounded faster ?

11. GFMD says:

pretty sure he didn’t write it, if he truly believed what the letter said it would have been unfair to ask him not to sign it based on that wording. it also wouldn’t be hubris for him to say “why yes, I AM a leader in America. England too, now that you mention it.”

I’m more concerned he would sign a document that doesn’t put equal rights for gays as a prerequisite and just says “well, we don’t have to agree on THAT.”

12. Riaz Khan says:

CPC destroyed him and he did not attack the attacks early on. His mistake was to confuse policy with politics. I have a great respect for him, his intellect and his insight. Traits we can certainly use in Ottawa… Good luck Mike.. whatever you do….

13. MississaugaPeter says:

WK, Just be happy!

Be happy knowing that his recklessness cost him a parliamentary pension (never made it to the 6 year mark, 8+ months shy)!

14. Tim says:

Yup. People saw through him for just who he is. The Conservative attack machine hit a home run because the message rang true. I heard lots of people say he was going down big time long before the election was held. The so called Liberal brain trust who saw him as the saviour were miles wide of the goal and as far as I can tell, lots of those people are still running the Party. I wonder how that’s going to work. Justin Trudeau certainly has his work cut out for him if he wins the leadership. If its one of the other candidates I think it’s over.

15. The Doctor says:

Jerry said “corporatism” again. Everybody drink!

16. Swervin' Merv says:

And much of the criticism sounds like parochial envy about “someone in the room who is smarter than you” and is capable of playing on a bigger pond than just Canada.