05.12.2015 09:00 AM

Patrick Brown: who he really is, and who he reminds me of

BrownFlustered (1)

Who am I?

Chantal Hebert has a column in today’s Star about the new Ontario PC leader. I’m biased, but I think she pulls her punches.

Here are some of the things you need to know about young Patrick, who to me bears a striking resemblance – ideologically and otherwise – to someone else.

So, who does Patrick Brown remind me of? Why, funny you should ask.  He reminds me of Stockwell Day.

Back in 2000, whenever we (or the media) would go after Day on an issue – privatizing health care, or a flat tax, or gay marriage, or abortion, or whatever – he would do what Patrick Brown so regularly does: he would shift his position.  He would deny.  He would dismiss.  He would claim to be misunderstood.  He would shrug. (Hell, he even physically resembles old Stock.)

Patrick Brown isn’t vulnerable merely because he is a social conservative.  He’s vulnerable because he’s trying to be all things to all people, just like Stockwell Day tried to do.

He’s vulnerable because he is being dishonest about who he really is, and what he really believes.

And he’s going to get found out, at precisely the wrong time for him and his party.

1. Matt from Ottawa says:

I agree with much of what you say, I was hoping Elliott would win and be a little more on the progressive side. I am willing to hear him out though, but he he ends up going to hard right, who knows where ill park my vote, I think if he goes that route hes going to turn alot of people off. As much as everyone has their political biases, I do try to hear every leader / local candidate to hear what they have to say before I make my decision

Kind of a side note, your last 2 lines, seem to remind me of another party leader on the federal spectrum

• Kelly says:

The problem with guys like him is they don’t go hard right until it’s too late. They aren’t honest about their past or their views because they know they will lose if people know what they are. Unfortunately we have a phony electoral system that makes it possible for guys like this to win office because of vote splitting even though their views are extremely unpopular.

2. Michael says:

Spot on!

3. Charles Laforet says:

Wow!

4. Ted H says:

Just comparing him to a successful Conservative namely Donald Cameron who despite being conservative is an affable well spoken human being, obviously appealing to people. Patrick Brown I am sorry to say looks like a creep, he won’t present well on TV, has no appealing image. That’s just the facts, no bias intended.4CDC

5. Barney says:

He also resembles Larry Hovis from Hogan’s Heroes

6. Iris Mclean says:

You nailed it WK. The Ontario Cons seem to have a death wish.

7. David_M says:

If going strictly on who he looks like?
    Kind of reminds me of Steve Nash.
    I wonder if he can dribble and dunk.

8. G GEMMELL says:

EFORE THE LEADERSHIP CAMPAIGN HE SEEMED TO BE THE LOGICAL SUCCESSOR TO JOHN BAIRD-

UNTHINKING AUTO BABBLER,KNEE-JERK TEA PARTY, SCARY BUFFOON.

9. e.a.f. says:

with that angry pinched face, hands on hips? Peter McKay beware, this is the guy who wants to replace Stevie

10. Krago says:

“Brown ran for Ontario PC leader, full time, on the federal taxpayer’s dime.”

Didn’t Christine Elliott run for Ontario PC leader, full time, on the provincial taxpayer’s dime? Didn’t Wynne and Pupatello and Horwath and on and on? Unless you’re suggesting that all leadership candidates take an unpaid leave-of-absence from their current elected position to run, I don’t see that as a fair criticism.

• Warren says:

Pupatello was in the private sector.

• Leasa says:

Justin Trudeau took a full year off of work to campaign for the Liberal Party leadership, but continued to collect his MP’s pay and charge charities to hear him speak. Stone throwers, glass houses, pots and kettles.

11. Robert Viera says:

According to a 2010 profile in the Barrie media, “Brown jogs once a week with Asia-Pacific Gateway Minister Stockwell Day”

12. Jack Garner says:

The Ontario voter is going to find it very difficult to follow Mr. Brown. He will try to be all things to all people. It will be impossible to tie him down to his true beliefs.

13. Tim says:

Mr. Kinsella paints him as a social conservative. After watching him in the legislature to me he doesn’t even come across as a Conservative. Some days he sounds like the NDP. As a Conservative supporter I’ve been quite disappointed, he hasn’t railed against public sector unions at all. I want to hear someone that has a plan to blow up the bloated public sector and he sounds like he is a defender of the status quo. I will still vote for him next time as Wynne has been a disgrace to the province, she has never acted in the public interest, and her government is completely unaccountable, she feeds at the trough of the so called Working Family Coalition, while the real workers of the province get hosed by her abusive spending scheme and union giveaways.

• Mike says:

Tim, I think you’ve proven Warren’s point.

By trying to be all things to all people he ends up being nothing to everyone. Conservatives don’t trust that he is conservative enough, and progressives don’t believe that he isn’t still too conservative.

14. Mike says:

Brown reminds me of Andrea Horwath cira 2014 and Tom Mulcair cira 2015.

Both made moves towards the centre, and lost their base. At the same time no one outside their base believed that they were genuine.

Or in other words, Brown has done too good a job of convincing his base he is a Liberal plant, while everyone else still thinks he is a social conservative.

15. Peter says:

I have no faith in Brown because he seems to think that to be acceptable he has to be like a Liberal. But will that play in Peoria?