Musings —04.22.2016 10:00 AM—
For immediate release April 22, 2016
ANTI-RACIST COALITION APPLAUDS HUMAN RIGHTS COMPLAINT
TORONTO – Don’t help spread hate.
That’s the message to Canada Post and the Government of Canada: stop helping to distribute a racist, homophobic, misogynistic, Islamaphobic and anti-Semitic tabloid to the homes of thousands of Toronto residents.
The broad coalition of citizens and anti-racism activists – which doesn’t have a name yet – welcomed the action of Ottawa human rights lawyer Richard Warman, who today formally filed a complaint that Canada Post and the federal government have violated multiple sections of the Canadian Human Rights Act. Warman’s complaint can be viewed here.
“Richard Warman is one of the most successful human rights litigants in Canadian history,” said Bernie Farber, Executive Director of the Mosaic Institute. “He has won a dozen human rights cases he brought against various neo-Nazis, white supremacists and hate groups. We are very confident that Richard will be successful when this complaint is heard.”
For months, the coalition of citizens and activists have been trying to lobby Canada Post and Judy Foote, the minister responsible, to stop distributing a tabloid called Your Ward News. Reportedly distributed to nearly 80,000 homes in Toronto, Your Ward News regularly promotes Holocaust denial, anti-gay and anti-women hate, and flagrant racism. Canada Post has refused to act, however, and the Crown corporation has continued to take undisclosed sums to distribute the hateful rag to people who don’t want it.
The postal corporation has threatened to discipline or dismiss Canada Post workers who object to delivering the extremist tabloid. CUPW earlier this month filed a Regular Grievance with their employer over being forced to deliver “an anti-worker, anti-people, racist, sexist and homophobic publication.”
Your Ward News is edited by James Sears, who has in the past pleaded guilty to sexual assault, and lost his licence to practice medicine for sexually assaulting patients. Sears is an unabashed Hitler enthusiast, and has called the gas chambers at Auschwitz a “lie.” Other contributors to Your Ward News include Gary Schipper, a former leader of the neo-Nazi Heritage Front, who served time in jail for refusing to take down the Front’s telephone hate messages.
“It is outrageous that Canada Post and those responsible in government have turned a blind eye to the hatred that is found on every page of Your Ward News,” said Warren Kinsella, a lawyer and resident of the Beach who wrote the book Web of Hate. “We have tried repeatedly to get them to act, but they have refused. We are hopeful that Richard’s formal human rights complaint will help change that.”
The coalition is made up of a diverse group:
• Walied Soliman, a lawyer at Norton Rose Fulbright
• Jaime Watt, chairman of Navigator Ltd. and a leader in the Toronto LGBT community
• Lisa Kinsella, Executive Vice President of the Daisy Group
• Bernie Farber, Executive Director of the Mosaic Institute and former CEO of Canadian
• Derek Richmond, Third Vice President, CUPW Scarborough Local
• Barbara Joy, public and government relations consultant and East Toronto resident
• John Wright, pollster and public affairs executive
• Ian Davey, former Chief of Staff to the Federal Leader of the Opposition
• Jill Fairbrother, principal of Fairbrother and Partners Inc.
• Kelly Fairchild, a feminist and East Toronto resident who has organized a petition
against the hate rag
• Judy Csillag, Canadian Race Relations Foundation
– 30 –
For further information, contact: