06.06.2016 04:13 PM

STAMP stamps out home delivery of hate

News breaking now. Finally. 

Now we need to stop it online. Which we will. 

**

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ANTI-RACIST COALITION APPLAUDS TRUDEAU GOVERNMENT’S TOUGH ACTION

S.T.A.M.P. hails Minister’s decision to shut down delivery of Your Ward News

TORONTO, ON – June 6, 2016 – Standing Together Against Mailing Prejudice (STAMP) today hailed the decision of the Trudeau government – and the minister responsible for Canada Post, Judy Foote – to issue a prohibitory order against the future delivery of the neo-Nazi rag, Your Ward News, to tens of thousands of Toronto-area homes.

“We are ecstatic about the Minister’s decision,” said Lisa Kinsella, Managing Partner of The Daisy Group and one of the founding members of STAMP. “For too long, Your Ward News has been permitted to disseminate racism, homophobia, misogyny and anti-Semitism to as many as 300,000 homes in Toronto. Minister Foote’s swift and decisive action means that this disgusting material will no longer be landing in the mailboxes of people who don’t want it.”

A prohibitory order, Kinsella said, is a legal instrument issued by Canada Post against a mailer. Its effect, she said, is to criminalize any attempt by a particular mailer to continue to send offensive material via Canada Post.

Previously, STAMP supported the action of Ottawa human rights lawyer Richard Warman, who formally filed a complaint that the mailing of Your Ward News violated multiple sections of the Canadian Human Rights Act. Warman’s complaint can still be viewed here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/309928606/20160421-CHRC-Complaint-vs-Canada-Post-GOC

“Your Ward News is edited by James Sears, who has in the past pleaded guilty to sexual assault, and lost his licence to practice medicine for sexually assaulting patients,” said Kinsella. “He is an unabashed Hitler enthusiast, and has called the gas chambers at Auschwitz a ‘lie.’ Other contributors to Your Ward News include Gary Schipper, a former leader of the neo-Nazi Heritage Front, who served time in jail for refusing to take down the Front’s telephone hate messages.”

The effect of Foote’s order is immediate, Kinsella concluded. Sears has ten days after the date the notice was sent to request a review panel. If such a request is received, the panel is appointed by the Minister.

STAMP is grateful to all the individuals who worked hard to make this happen, including citizens who have spoken out, CUPW and senior staff in Minister Foote’s office, including her Director of Operations, Lucio Durante.

The coalition is made up a diverse group:

• Jaime Watt, chairman of Navigator Ltd. and a leader in the Toronto LGBT community
• Lisa Kinsella, Managing Partner of The Daisy Group
• Bernie Farber, Executive Director of the Mosaic Institute and former CEO of Canadian Jewish Congress
• Derek Richmond, Third Vice President, CUPW Scarborough Local
• Barbara Joy, public and government relations consultant and East Toronto resident
• John Wright, pollster and public affairs executive
• Ian Davey, former Chief of Staff to the Federal Leader of the Opposition
• Jill Fairbrother, principal of Fairbrother and Partners Inc.
• Kelly Fairchild, a feminist and East Toronto resident who has organized a petition against the hate rag
• Judy Csillag, Canadian Race Relations Foundation
• Warren Kinsella, Toronto lawyer and author

– 30 –

For further information, contact:
Andrew Tumilty
416 642 3100
andrew@daisygroup.ca

16 Comments

  1. Ridiculosity says:

    Thank you. As a resident of the area that receives this rag regularly, I’m ecstatic my household will no longer be subject to this offensive trash.

  2. Ann Jarnet says:

    Time to rejoice and to remain vigilant and active as this stuff doesn’t disappear easily. Congrats to S.T.A.M.P. And to Minister Foote.

  3. Harry Abrams says:

    That’s good news! Well done!

  4. Sean says:

    How long before this guy and his garbage becomes the next cause celebre for the alt-right?

    I’m sure he’ll be writing a column for Breitbart by the end of the month.

  5. Dan Calda says:

    Well done.

  6. Rob Wealer says:

    Can a minister do this without a court order? I hate this rag but someone put this out on an FB post about how a minister is unilaterally able to do this… is it part of her powers and area of responsibility?

  7. Debra says:

    Thank you! Thankyou! Thankyou! I’m happy that I no longer have to see such disgusting filth come through my letter box.

  8. Maps Onburt says:

    Never read it, have no idea what “garbage” he posts, but if the courts aren’t calling it hate speech, why are we asking for Canada Post to censor it? I remember how clearly all of us wanted that vile bigot Ernst Zundel silenced but then we ended up with the politically correct hate speech tribunals that honest citizens have spent tens of thousands of dollars fighting their way out of in response.

    Remember that while this particular idiot might be saying stuff you don’t agree with, you are potentially silencing those who may be saying stuff that you do agree with in the future. Free speech is a precious thing to take away and it should only be done after due consideration by the proper authorities. Sorry, but the mail man isn’t it.

    I get all sorts of shit in my mailbox – including propaganda from my Liberal MPP. It goes directly in to the recycle box unopened. No big deal. If he’s publishing hate material… Charge him. Simple as that.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*