Musings —06.06.2016 04:13 PM—
News breaking now. Finally.
Now we need to stop it online. Which we will.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ANTI-RACIST COALITION APPLAUDS TRUDEAU GOVERNMENT’S TOUGH ACTION
S.T.A.M.P. hails Minister’s decision to shut down delivery of Your Ward News
TORONTO, ON – June 6, 2016 – Standing Together Against Mailing Prejudice (STAMP) today hailed the decision of the Trudeau government – and the minister responsible for Canada Post, Judy Foote – to issue a prohibitory order against the future delivery of the neo-Nazi rag, Your Ward News, to tens of thousands of Toronto-area homes.
“We are ecstatic about the Minister’s decision,” said Lisa Kinsella, Managing Partner of The Daisy Group and one of the founding members of STAMP. “For too long, Your Ward News has been permitted to disseminate racism, homophobia, misogyny and anti-Semitism to as many as 300,000 homes in Toronto. Minister Foote’s swift and decisive action means that this disgusting material will no longer be landing in the mailboxes of people who don’t want it.”
A prohibitory order, Kinsella said, is a legal instrument issued by Canada Post against a mailer. Its effect, she said, is to criminalize any attempt by a particular mailer to continue to send offensive material via Canada Post.
Previously, STAMP supported the action of Ottawa human rights lawyer Richard Warman, who formally filed a complaint that the mailing of Your Ward News violated multiple sections of the Canadian Human Rights Act. Warman’s complaint can still be viewed here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/309928606/20160421-CHRC-Complaint-vs-Canada-Post-GOC
“Your Ward News is edited by James Sears, who has in the past pleaded guilty to sexual assault, and lost his licence to practice medicine for sexually assaulting patients,” said Kinsella. “He is an unabashed Hitler enthusiast, and has called the gas chambers at Auschwitz a ‘lie.’ Other contributors to Your Ward News include Gary Schipper, a former leader of the neo-Nazi Heritage Front, who served time in jail for refusing to take down the Front’s telephone hate messages.”
The effect of Foote’s order is immediate, Kinsella concluded. Sears has ten days after the date the notice was sent to request a review panel. If such a request is received, the panel is appointed by the Minister.
STAMP is grateful to all the individuals who worked hard to make this happen, including citizens who have spoken out, CUPW and senior staff in Minister Foote’s office, including her Director of Operations, Lucio Durante.
The coalition is made up a diverse group:
• Jaime Watt, chairman of Navigator Ltd. and a leader in the Toronto LGBT community
• Lisa Kinsella, Managing Partner of The Daisy Group
• Bernie Farber, Executive Director of the Mosaic Institute and former CEO of Canadian Jewish Congress
• Derek Richmond, Third Vice President, CUPW Scarborough Local
• Barbara Joy, public and government relations consultant and East Toronto resident
• John Wright, pollster and public affairs executive
• Ian Davey, former Chief of Staff to the Federal Leader of the Opposition
• Jill Fairbrother, principal of Fairbrother and Partners Inc.
• Kelly Fairchild, a feminist and East Toronto resident who has organized a petition against the hate rag
• Judy Csillag, Canadian Race Relations Foundation
• Warren Kinsella, Toronto lawyer and author
– 30 –
For further information, contact:
416 642 3100