, 01.13.2018 04:22 PM

How’d you like to get this in your inbox?

All of Hawaii did, today. Would certainly make you a lot more alert, wouldn’t it?

When I was a kid in Dallas, at David G. Burnet Elementary, we used to practice for air raids. We’d take shelter under our desks, stop talking, and await further instructions.

We were preparing for the inevitable North Vietnamese fusillade, apparently. I was pretty young, so I didn’t ask a lot of questions.

Anyway. As Lisa and me head Stateside tomorrow, I am moved to wonder: is the most-policed state in the world smarter because it’s always ready for incoming missiles? Or are they just sort of naturally paranoid?

I still know the Pledge of Allegiance, but I actually don’t know the answer. But I do know I’m quite happy Hawaii is still there. It’s the only state I’ve never been to, you know.

1. Bytowner says:

Fairly certain that I don’t want any such message in my inbox. Ever.

Safe travels both ways!

2. Ronald O'Dowd says:

Warren,

The first thing that came to my mind — given the obvious gun culture in the United States — was whether anyone blew their brains out after hearing the warning of an “incoming” missile. That would elevate this incident to tragedy level.

3. Kevin says:

We did the shelter-under-desks thing too, but in our case it was to protect us from the dreaded Khrushchev. That was in semi-backwoods Quebec just off Montreal island. When we visited back home up north, the alarm system for the town was the whistle at the paper mill. At the first sign of nuclear armageddon, the whistle would blow and people would lock doors and windows and shut the curtains. I think we were also supposed to run to the basement carrying a can of beans or something.

Go to Hawaii, it is amazing. (A bit of trivia: the stand of palm trees that was used as the opening scene for Gilligan’s Island is still there, and recognizable too!)

Have a safe trip.

4. Jill says:

I have a friend that lives in Hawaii. She called all of her family upon receiving this message to tell them that she loved them, in case she never saw them again. This significantly impacted people emotionally. I can’t image the panic.

5. P. Brenn says:

this is brutal…call me paranoid but I do not buy this hit the wrong button excuse – I know someone has to be go to person here but there must be some fail safes or a pr0tocol that a rogue employee must have blasted through to do this or was it hacking …as is typical there has to be more to this story ..

6. David Ray says:

I remember the oil storage containers just above Cherry Beach in Toronto were empty when I was around 14 and they steam cleaned them. You could hear the roar in Whitby. We thought it was the Russian bombers. People streamed out of their houses in panic. Yes, it was that loud. Assholes. I doubt anyone that age ever recovers from the fear.

7. the salamander horde says:

.. maybe On The Beach
    by Neville Shute Norway
    should be compulsary reading..

Getting our asses blown away.. vaporized instantly, versus the slow degradation & death by radiation poisoning might have international populations in a non partisan uproar..

Trump, leaning over a stiff 2 foot put to make par.. ‘it was a State excercise’ then off to the clubhouse turn. Never a shred of awareness in that vacant cranium. Lazy ass meanstream media, not even a shred on how South Koreans, or the Japanese perceived this.. China? Russia?

Just a President Pus Sack StrangeLove round of golf.. and for all we know, elTrumpo Bankrupto slithered immediately into the deepest bunker at the country club

8. P. Brenn says:

If this is entire back drop then employee did make mistake ..drop down menus dangerous ..one misclick and you create panic