11.02.2019 05:13 PM

Reality check: Scheer, Conservatives and homophobia

Some Conservatives want Andrew Scheer out. Fine. It’s their party, and they can have a fight if they want to. Whatever.

But some of the Scheer critics are saying they oppose him because he isn’t pro-LGBTQ. In fact, some suggest, he may even be homophobic.

Maybe so, maybe not. All I know is I let him know what I think about him and LGBTQ folk just before the election. It’s here.

But what of the Conservative Scheer critics? What about them? Were they critiquing the Tory leader for his crypto-homophobia before the election? They were, weren’t they? They were as courageous before the election as they are now, right?

I’ll spare you a lot of Google time. They were not.

In fact, some of Scheer’s most ardent critics on the LGBTQ issue had positions that were…well, I’ll let you decide.

Here’s some stuff that Michael Coren said on Sun News Network, back when it was around. Lisa and I used to refuse to go on his show, because it was so hateful and homophobic.

Oh, and here’s the wording of a wildly homophobic ad that ran on Sun News Network in the Coren era.

Anyway.  There’s a lot more of that out there, if you want to go looking for it.  I don’t.

Consistency: that’s my point.  Criticize Andrew Scheer’s retrograde views on the LGBTQ community, by all means.  He deserves it.

But don’t do it if you’re guilty of the same sin.

1. Mike Jeffries says:

“They were not.”
    This gay issue is old hat for the CPC!
    They should have had a position 14 years ago when gay marriage became Law in Canada. But they didn’t and won’t!
    Conservatives are rigid deaf folk who hold on to their cherished social ideals come hell or high water.
    They were *so* certain they would win this election with this Liberal leader but they lost.
    As you posted many times how come despite the tumult of the Trudeau first term why weren’t they miles ahead in the polls? They clearly should have been!
    Maybe now, maybe they will listen and it’s why people like me who have always been loyal to the CPC now are calling them out for their malaise and nonsense. Saying you’re against bullying *but* won’t respect gay peoples’ right to choose. March in the damn parade Conservative leaders! Put some action to your words. Enough of the sanctimony!

• Fred from BC says:

“March in the damn parade Conservative leaders! ”

Yeah! Or we’ll just keep attacking and insulting you until you do!

Give in to our constant browbeating and bullying so that we can BOO you and THROW FOOD AT YOU!! Okay?

(give it a rest, Mike. It’s not happening…)

• Ronald O'Dowd says:

Fred,

Please explain this to me: are you really suggesting that 100% of attendees at PPs would boo and throw food at CPC leaders if they marched in parades? Does that mean that most in the crowd would not actually appreciate a CPC leader who chose to reach out? How is that different from the last two Presidents being booed at the World Series and yet presidents still attend with great regularity?

I don’t know about you but I’ve seen in my time plenty of politicians get hit in the face with food and that never stopped any of them from attending events…look at P-E-T’s bravery at the SJB parade as bottles came his way. That’s a politician holding his ground and worth being proud of. And you know how I otherwise disliked P-E-T for so many other reasons.

• Fred from BC says:

“Fred,

Please explain this to me: are you really suggesting that 100% of attendees at PPs would boo and throw food at CPC leaders if they marched in parades? ”

Not at all, Ronald. Just the more zealous ones, and that’s enough to get a few more to do the same (mob mentality, you know), which then makes that video recording the top news story for the evening; that’s their end game: the all-important public humiliation of Conservatives.

Go look at Montreal Simon’s blog if you can stomach it. See how the hardcore ‘progressives’ really think.

• Ronald O'Dowd says:

Fred,

That guy only represents himself and thank God for that.

• Mike Jeffries says:

Where in BC do you live? I’m in Surrey. So, good you would vote for John Baird if he were leader. Would you still vote for him if he marched in the parades?

• Fred from BC says:

“Well Fred, we should meet and put a face to Fred from BC and me, since I’m Mike from B.C.”

No, we shouldn’t.

“So, good you would vote for John Baird if he were leader. Would you still vote for him if he marched in the parades?”

If that was his choice, why wouldn’t I?

“If we live close to each other let’s meet for coffee and speak as why I have to grow up?”

You have to grow up because you demonstrate the maturity level of a teenager, as evidenced by this and other recent posts. You’re not clever, Mike, and you’re certainly not scary either.

(my apologies, of course, if you really *are* a teenager..)

• Fred from BC says:

“That guy only represents himself and thank God for that.”

And his six or eight regular cheerleaders.

2. Frankie Beans says:

pretty weak argument there, my dude. of course you know Coren has publicly recanted from his earlier homophobia and has come out strongly in support of LGBTQ rights — i.e., exactly the sort of transformation Scheer’s critics are ostensibly demanding from him.

• Warren says:

I’ve been writing about haters for 30+ years. Leopards don’t change their spots, in my experience.

• Then there’s no hope for Scheer, either.

• Ronald O'Dowd says:

Darwin,

Be careful here. Social Conservative does not necessarily equate with hater. How much daylight in this area is there between Harper and Scheer’s views on social issues? No serious person would suggest that either of them is an outright hater of those they happen to disagree with.

• Fred from BC says:

“No serious person ”

That’s it, in a nutshell.

The sky in their world is a completely different color.

• I didn’t mean to imply Scheer is as bad as Coren was. But if he still holds the views he expressed in that resurrected speech, it may not show hatred, but a lack of understanding of love.

3. Ronald O'Dowd says:

Unless, of course, you happen to have been smart enough to evolve at some point.

4. More then almost any other public figure, Michael Coren has been open about how his views gay marriage has dramtically changed. Scheer’s failure was not to talk about how his view have or have not changes was one of the his major failure in the election.

5. Timothy Friesen says:

A little bit of Googling on Coren could have easily led you to this article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/programs/metromorning/michael-coren-same-sex-marriage-1.3551552

It was written in 2016 and discusses Coren’s change of view towards homosexuality two years prior.

I’m sure there are some Scheer detractors for whom what you wrote above may hold true. It would seem that Coren isn’t one of them.

6. Mark says:

Though Coren has done a 180 degree turn in very recent years.

7. Mike Jeffries says:

The only reason Trudeau marches in every parade he can is because Scheer won’t. It has great media messaging effect esp. because Scheer is the only leader who doesn’t.
    We’ll see how Scheer reinvents himself. Senior Cons aren’t happy. I’m for John Baird for leader :). He can silence Justin on many fronts!
    Fred, are you ready for John?

• Fred from BC says:

“Fred, are you ready for John?”

Sure, why wouldn’t I be?

(you take this stuff way too personally. I think you need to grow up a bit, Mike…)

8. Walter says:

The PM should march in National Parades, such as Remembrance day. He does not have to – actually he should not – march in every local parade that exists. Chretien did not march in any of these local parades, nor did Harper, Mulroney or Trudeau #1. The only reason this is an issue is because the press wants to promote Trudeau and criticize Scheer.
    The problem is – it worked. The CPC need to now march in these parades no matter how demeaning it is for a national figure to march in a local parade. The best they can do is be like Ford and find some parade where behaviour is acceptable and the leader can maintain a sense of decorum.

9. Ronald O'Dowd says:

What I say to people is a Kinsellaism: if you don’t like a CPC leader marching in a Pride Parade then don’t watch.

The thing is we have continually evolved since humans first appeared on Earth. That’s the nature of our collective society. And yes, even Conservatives have the capacity to evolve. It just takes them longer than most. Some will evolve against their will or be kicked out of the party as Harper did with far-right racist elements. The leader sets the tone and membership has a responsibility to follow once a party marker has been set in stone on a given issue.

10. Eastern Rebellion says:

It’s very simple. All Scheer has to say is that if the Pride organizers allow uniformed police officers to march; he’ll consider it. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Sean says:

You realize that there are Pride parades all over Canada, right? Toronto is the only parade where uniformed police are unwelcome.

Doug marched in the York Region parade earlier this year alongside uniformed officers and got a warm reception from the parade attendees.

Nice try, though.

11. Zing says:

Apparently not marching in Pride parades — since Trudeau does — is “fatal” to Scheer’s continued leadership.

Apropos your column today, let’s see the video of Peter MacKay etc etc marching in the parades. Next summer doesn’t count!!