11.11.2020 02:35 AM

Remembering my Dad on Remembrance Day

Here he is, age 20, at officer cadet training in the Summer of 1952. Front row centre.

He went on to join the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps but the war ended before he could go over. He always regretted that, but us, not so much.

We miss him every single day – and on this day, even more.

God bless him and everyone who serves.

1. hugh says:

Lost a lot of friends in our most recent war,
    we all join for our own reasons but at the end of the day what it all comes down to is
    Pro Patria!
    (For Country)

2. Robert White says:

My grandfather White was Canadian Infantry for the First World War. He was injured in France and lost one of his legs there. His fellow soldiers took him to a farm in rural France and made sure the farm family took care of him until they could retrieve him the next day.

My father was RCAF in the Second World War but he was only a potato peeler/machine gun cleaner as he wore coke-bottle glass and had flat feet.

I never had any interest in war or battlefields. In brief, the military is a destroyer of people & lives. Rational people would never join such a cause IMHO. Peer pressure likely forced many to enlist merely to be a part of the crowd.

Ghandi had the right idea about war.

RW

• Robert,

I agree entirely as regards WWI and other more recent conflicts. But when it comes to DemonSeedsTM like Hitler, it’s for all intents and purposes, God’s War against Evil of the highest order. Didn’t necessarily know that in 39. Found it out rather quickly after that.

In any event, we should always thank our troops for their service, regardless of when or where they served their country.

3. Raymond says:

Very cool.

4. the real Sean says:

Every Remembrance Day I miss my grandfather. In his early 20s, his job was to spot U-Boats attacking the North Atlantic convoys. On the day the war ended, when everyone was partying in Halifax, his ship was ordered back out to sea to accept the surrender of Nazis ships. I always loved that story. When everyone was celebrating, my grandfather was still at sea getting it done.

5. My Dad was pissed off by this but here it goes: they were 11 offspring in my Dad’s family. Granny Blanche thought that Frank M. was the apple of her eye. Playing favourites never good but I digress.

So…she told Grandpa Frank A. to use his Conservative political connections. My father wanted to join the Navy but Blanche quashed that one as well. Instead, three bigwigs got together and arranged “the physical exam”. End result: discharged from being enlisted in the Army because of flat feet. Never served a day, despite his desire to serve. (His brother Cliff was with the Royal 22nd in France and saw action in France and Germany (WWII) and fortunately made it back.) However, Blanche’s manoeuverings never sat too well with him either.

6. Dave says:

What regiment was he with? (besides the Armoured Corp) Hussars, Dragoons, Dirty Strathcona’s.?

7. Greg says:

“Through the mud and the blood to the green fields beyond.”

Your dad would recognize that phrase.

As someone who wore the black beret I salute your dad’s memory.