Photo (and apparently untouched) by @karltims.
“Warren Kinsella's book, ‘Fight the Right: A Manual for Surviving the Coming Conservative Apocalypse,’ is of vital importance for American conservatives and other right-leaning individuals to read, learn and understand.”
- The Washington Times
“One of the best books of the year.”
- The Hill Times
“Justin Trudeau’s speech followed Mr. Kinsella’s playbook on beating conservatives chapter and verse...[He followed] the central theme of the Kinsella narrative: “Take back values. That’s what progressives need to do.”
- National Post
“[Kinsella] is a master when it comes to spinning and political planning...”
- George Stroumboulopoulos, CBC TV
“Kinsella pulls no punches in Fight The Right...Fight the Right accomplishes what it sets out to do – provide readers with a glimpse into the kinds of strategies that have made Conservatives successful and lay out a credible roadmap for progressive forces to regain power.”
- Elizabeth Thompson, iPolitics
“[Kinsella] deserves credit for writing this book, period... he is absolutely on the money...[Fight The Right] is well worth picking up.”
- Huffington Post
“Run, don't walk, to get this amazing book.”
- Mike Duncan, Classical 96 radio
“Fight the Right is very interesting and - for conservatives - very provocative.”
- Former Ontario Conservative leader John Tory
“His new book is great! All of his books are great!”
- Tommy Schnurmacher, CJAD
“I absolutely recommend this book.”
- Paul Wells, Maclean’s
“Kinsella puts the Left on the right track with new book!”
- Calgary Herald
That’s right, pedophilia. In their April issue, Sears and his fellow neo-Nazis published an article that made light of the sexual abuse of children. By any reasonable standard, that’s a crime. Why isn’t Canada Post – or the government that oversees it – doing something about this?
“Warren Kinsella, a lawyer and author of Web of Hate, a look at the extremist right in Canada, said he and other residents of the east end have started a website called www.Canadiansagainstprejudice.com to oppose the message of the newsletter.
The site lists Your Ward News advertisers and asks if they know what kind of newsletter they are supporting.
Canada Post did not respond to a query prior to The CJN’s deadline, but the Toronto Star quoted a Canada Post spokesperson as saying that Your Ward News did not meet the standard for “non-mailable matter.”
The cops will do what they do. In the meantime, those of us who live in the community aren’t going to wait.
If you want to help us, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[UPDATE: I’ve moved this forward because of the comments – you have to read the comments. And, hopefully, people at Queen’s Park read the comments, too.]
[ANOTHER UPDATE: I have heard from a very responsible and ethical National Post reporter, one I can vouch for. She wants to hear from some of the folks who have been commenting on this post. What you have been revealing is newsworthy. You can reach her at email@example.com.]
To all long-suffering staff in the office of the “Ombudsman” Kid Kodak Marin: you can post here anonymously. No one will ever know your name, me included.
Comment, in particular, on the despotic reign of Andre Marin - lots of people at Queen’s Park come on this web site, many times a day. They will read what you write. It will help.
Mr. Speaker, the Honourable Member from the riding of Den Tandt has caused to be published the following:
“There is one obvious way for Trudeau to leap this ditch, though it carries risk…He could speak repeatedly and off the cuff with authenticity and wit, scrumming until reporters are tired of the sound of his voice. All summer long, he could wade into town halls and other unscripted settings, giving the lie to the most damaging point in the narrative prepared for him by his opponents, which is that he’s in over his head.”
Mr. Speaker, with the greatest of respect to the Honourable Member, that is a proven formula for disaster. The only people who will approve of this strategy, Mr. Speaker, are the esteemed members of the Parliamentary Press Gallery, who (a) are forever telling politicians to speak without notes (b) so that said politician will say something unhelpful, and the esteemed members of the Parliamentary Press Gallery will have more to write about.
Instead, the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada needs to do ten things. Here, Mr. Speaker, are those ten things.
1. Stop talking about the “middle class.” No one knows who the middle class is, but everyone knows Mr. Trudeau has never been part of the middle class.
2. Start talking about ideas. Don’t wait until the writ period. The Tories and the Dippers repeatedly insist Mr. Trudeau has none, that he is an empty vessel. Show voters that the Grit’s detractors are wrong.
3. The ideas need not be big. They should, instead, be small. No one believes anymore that government can solve big problems – so talk about smart, solid, smallish ideas that seem do-able. Talk about things we can and should change.
4. Look, and sound, older. Mr. Trudeau looks and sounds too young to be Prime Minister. His voice needs to be deeper; his style of dress, less stylish; his deportment, more statesmanlike.
5. We re-emphasize point 4. Barack Obama knew that what middle America fears most is the Angry Black Man – so he built a successful political career on never being the Angry Black Man. Canadian voters, similarly, wonder if Mr. Trudeau is Richie Rich – too young, too callow, too well-off, etc. Mr. Trudeau needs to play against type.
6. Undersell and over perform: it is the Chretien maxim. Whenever Team Trudeau come up with a good idea, senior staff rush to claim credit for it in anonymous insider stories. Whenever something bad happens, they whisper to the media that their boss had “gone off the script.” These things need to be reversed: if something bad happens, it is staff’s fault. Something good? Mr. Trudeau thought of it.
7. Stop answering hypothetical questions.
8. Stop advertising strategy in the newspapers, too, Mr. Speaker. If you do that, your opponent will read all about your strategy in the morning paper, gratis, and use it to beat you on Election Day.
9. Reach out to Liberals who are past the age of 40. The Liberal Party of Canada used to be the most successful political machine in Western democracy – and those older folks were the principal reason for that. Reach out to them. They have some useful perspectives to offer.
10. Don’t throw away the script. Don’t, Mr. Speaker. The Prime Minister taunted Mr. Trudeau about “the script” because he, along with the Press Gallery, want the Liberal leader to talk first, and think later. Don’t do it.
Simply talk about smart, do-able ideas, over and over. Don’t talk about the hypothetical things that the media and the Tories and the Dippers want you to talk about. Talk about ideas, and how to make a great country even greater. Sound and look a grown-up when you do it. Fire any staff who appear in “strategist” profile stories: those staffers don’t have their names on the ballot, Mr. Trudeau does.
Be humble. Be sincere. Always tell the truth, and only talk about what you know. In that way, you can never go wrong.
And prepare, prepare, prepare – but make it sound like it all comes effortlessly from your heart, and your head.
Thank you, Mr. Speaker. Vive le Canada.
Some say the material is anti-Semitic and racist. So why is Canada Post distributing it?
The publication is called “Your Ward News.” It has been distributed in Toronto for quite some time, and has always been on the fringes, promoting conspiracy theories and oddball political candidates. But, in recent months, the tabloid newspaper has veered sharply Right, and started promoting material that may offend Canadian hate laws.
Among the highlights contained in recent editions of the newspaper:
And all of that is contained in just one issue of “Your Ward News.”
The publication is controlled by a man calling himself Dr. James Sears. But Sears is not an accredited doctor.
According to court transcripts and records of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Sears has a dark past. He drank while on call as an intern, made “inappropriate” use of drugs, and had “inappropriate behaviour towards female staff members.” While admitted to Ottawa’s National Defence Medical Centre, Sears made ”numerous, random and obsessive telephone calls to women during which he would sometimes masturbate.”
In 1991, the College of Physicians and Surgeons finally suspended Sear’s licence after receiving complaints from female patients. The next year, Sears would plead guilty to two counts of sexual assault and he would be stripped of his medical licence for sexual impropriety.
Along with publishing a newspaper that promotes anti-Semitic and racist themes, Sears also has billed himself as “Dimitri the Lover” – and has claimed he could teach men who attend his “Toronto Real Men” workshops that he can teach them to make women “worship” them.
But the question remains: why is Canada Post distributing his newspaper? Bernie Farber, the former CEO of the Canadian Jewish Congress, is among the many folks asking just that.
“The material in ‘Your Ward News’ is reminiscent of the neo-Nazi, anti-Semitic ravings of the now-defunct racist organization Heritage Front,” said Farber. “It’s frankly shocking that a federal government agency like Canada Post deems it appropriate to deliver this racist screed to Toronto households.”
Indeed it is. The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has called the newspaper “hate mail.” But the corporation has merely shrugged, and said: “We do not have the right to refuse a mail item because we or our employees object to its content. The content is the sole responsibility of the publisher, who is clearly identified in the newsletter. Anyone who has concerns about the content should either contact the publisher or simply dispose of it.”
Bullshit. Your Ward News is hate propaganda – and Canada Post will pay a steep price for its indifference.