Musings —07.26.2016 07:33 AM—
I was at Star Trek Beyond with Sons Two and Four, last night, so I missed much of the antics by the Bernie Brigade. With their booing, or with their mouths taped shut, they actually reminded me of some Canadian sore losers, the ones who wore black arm bands way back.
Son Two is a big Bernie Sanders fan, still, and we debated all of this stuff before and after Star Trek. He thinks the DNC stole the nomination from Bernie. I disagreed, and gave him this rationale about why I (an ex-pat Democrat) could never support Sanders, and he shouldn’t, either:
- Bernie Sanders has always been an Independent, and not so much a Democrat. He isn’t even registered as a Democrat in his home state of Vermont. That matters.
- Bernie Sanders’ supporters aren’t really Democrats, either. They, like their candidate, saw the primaries as a means to an end – a flag of convenience. That matters, too.
- Bernie Sanders hurt the Democratic cause with the way he ran his campaign, well past the point that he could not win. The beneficiary was Donald Trump, and Sanders’ supporters were so crazed, they were even prepared to echo Trump’s vilest attacks. That also matters.
- Bernie Sanders, in pure policy terms, is not a Democrat. He is Occupy’s candidate, arriving eight years too late. He does not believe in the things Democrats do. That matters.
- Bernie Sanders needs to get his lunatic fringe under control. Because if he doesn’t, the only beneficiary will be Donald Trump. And that matters, most of all.
And that matters, or should.