Musings —09.20.2016 11:52 AM—
It’s a pretty fair report by Benzie. And here’s who will like it and who won’t:
- Voters like it when politicians admit they were wrong and make changes.
- Ontarians like anyone who is criticized by McVety and his knuckle-dragging troglodyte crew.
- Ontario Grits and Dippers won’t like that Brown is taking out the social conservative trash well before the next election.
On a related topic: Benzie’s colleague Cohn is writing Kathleen Wynne’s obituary way, way too soon.
Three points about that:
- She could wallpaper her nice house (and I’ve been there many times – it’s a very nice house) with political obituaries.
- She is always underestimated by pundits and politicos – and then she wins big, as she did in 2003, 2007, 2011, 2013 and 2014. Only a fool would count her out.
- A guy named Mulroney had similar disapproval numbers in 1987 – and went on to win a second huge majority in 1988. The skill lies in being unpopular at the right time. Wynne knows it.
[Obligatory Full Diclosure Statement: Daisy Group staff are involved, variously and at various times, in Ontario Liberal, PC and NDP campaign work. And are encouraged to do so.]