Ottawa-bound

Not because of the nascent Liberal leadership race. Not for top secret political meetings.

It’s way, way more important than that.

My daughter is graduating from high school, and she is checking out university journalism programs. Like at my alma mater, Carleton.

Yes, yes, I am old. You don’t have to remind me. Go jump in Dow’s Lake.

10 Responses to “Ottawa-bound”

1. Dan says:

Good luck. A lot of very good faculty members in that program, hope she has time to meet a few.

2. John says:

WK says… “Yes, yes, I am old. You don’t have to remind me…”

I know the feeling. My oldest just started at U of T doing a double major in History and French. I remember the night he was born like it was yesterday.

I’m too imature to have kids… let alone having one in Uni.

3. Michael S says:

Sadly Ottawa South is a bit too gentrified now for cheap student housing. If she’s not in rez gimme a shout on some good leads for rental. My niece recently finished up at Carleton. Hint: O-train to Little Italy.

4. Ronald O'Dowd says:

Warren,

I’m sure the acorn doesn’t fall too far from the tree as far as your daughter’s writing ability is concerned. It augers very well for the future and with her commitment to First Nations’ issues, only positive developments can come from her future journalistic efforts.

She will no doubt make our alma mater proud!

5. Hey Warren,

Why don’t you swing by the college too? We have an outstanding journalism program and (shameless plug) an equally strong public relations program. Both have articulation agreements with the University of Ottawa, and I think you’ll find our grads have great success.

Plus, she’d have me as a teacher!

I’m around all day — send me a note and I’ll make time for both of you — as I do for everyone who’s looking to come!

Stephen

6. dave says:

I imagine journalism faculties are spending a bit of time and resources figuring out just what directions journalism is taking these digital days. Interesting time for young person to get into journalism studies!

7. Dan says:

Congratulations!

8. Marc-Andre Chiasson says:

Bravo to your daughter…and to her old man. Here are a few plugs for New Brunswick universities:

In English

En français

9. Chris Shrive says:

Carleton is no more than a watering hole for future shameless self-promoters.

10. Laurel West says:

Carleton was never “last chance U” for journalism. But I’d advise your daughter to study something else, particularly economics and political science, then go overseas for a year for a dose of reality, and THEN go to Carleton for an MJ. Best advice anyone ever gave me (except i forgot the MJ and have been in Asia for 24 years–most exciting story on earth).