Musings —11.08.2012 10:05 AM—
For the Ontario Liberal leadership, I’m supporting Sandra Pupatello. She announced her candidacy just minutes ago here in Toronto, and she’s heading next to her home in Windsor to declare her intentions before a big hometown crowd.
In the coming days and weeks, I’ll be writing more about why I’m supporting her. But for now, here are ten reasons why I think Sandra is simply the best person for the Ontario Liberal leadership.
1. She is the only candidate who can win the coming election. Period.
2. As long as anyone can remember, we’ve never won with a Toronto leader. Sandra’s from Windsor, and proudly so.
3. She’s multilingual and she’s whip-smart. She’s fun and she’s one of the most likeable politicians I’ve ever met. She’s the candidate the PCs and the NDP fear the most.
4. Coming from Windsor, she knows how to defeat the OLP’s strongest adversary – the NDP. But she enjoys beating Cons, too. And she’s never lost an election.
5. She has held senior portfolios like economic development, and trade. She’s got the right kind of experience for these tough economic times.
6. Jobs, jobs, jobs: her number one focus is the security provided by a stable, well-paying job. That is the centre of her economic policy. It’s what Ontario needs. She is what Ontario needs.
7. She treats every taxpayer dollar as a sacred trust. She’s frugal, and she’s careful with every dollar. That’s how she’ll govern, too.
8. With Sandra, what you see is what you get. That’s how she is. Taxpayers rightly demand that we be straight with them. That’s what they’ll always get with her.
9. Sandra left government to work as a senior, and successful, business executive. She’s therefore been far from any of the the controversies that have beset her competitors for the top job.
10. She doesn’t buy into the Left vs. Right, labour vs. management, urban vs. rural stuff that others are so preoccupied with. She can win everywhere in Ontario, with the support of people from all walks of life, and every point of view. And she will.
Sandra Pupatello provides the kind of change we need, and not just in the Ontario Liberal Party.