Paywitless

Isn’t this stupid? Isn’t it beyond idiotic?

Let me put this in caps, so my plaintive cry is heard by Globians:WHY TWEET A LINK TO A STORY THAT IS BEHIND A PAYWALL?

And they wonder why newspapers are dying. Wonder no more, etc.

20130223-102615.jpg

16 Responses to “Paywitless”

1. Michael S says:

“PAY UP MOTHERFUCKER!” proved too subtle?

2. AP says:

I stopped subscribing to the G&M a couple of months ago, not because I didn’t like the paper but out of laziness – I simply didn’t update my credit card information with their accounts department. You know what? I really haven’t missed it at all. I realized that when I fire up the Interwebs every morning my habit does not include stampeding for the G&M website. There are literally dozens of sites I will read first before I even think about checking out what the Globe has to say about anything. There simply is nothing about the Globe that I would pay to read. For what it’s worth Warren, you should consider someday offering your web for a small fee (a la Andrew Sullivan). If I had to fork over some dough I’d rather it be for original content/opinion like yours than the stale, warmed over nothingness the Globe, The Star and The Post offer up day in and day out.

• Kaplan says:

Warren’s site, with all respect, isn’t the news content generator that Sullivan’s has become over the past number of years. Sullivan’s got staff – and he’s leveraged some high profile host sites in the past before branching out completely on his own. That said, I think Warren’s place could turn into that, if he wanted it to. I don’t think he does, though. Mr. Kinsella?

• Brian Mouland says:

Gave up on G@M shortly before the paywall pretty good debate on readers forums but they became so full of trolls and partisans it make no sense to read it let alone pay for it

3. scot says:

I find myself going to The Star more often now.

4. Skinny Dipper says:

Unfortunately, some people do not provide a brief website description when providing a shortened URL link: eg. G&M, Sun, NYT.

5. Balconies says:

Didn’t they say that stories accessed via links on Twitter and Facebook would not be affected by the paywall?

6. Victor Wong says:

All right. I don’t think I’ll get into trouble for quoting two paragraphs from the article in question:

“I feel for Mr. Feldman. Even though he is tasked with winning approval for MGM’s proposal to turn Toronto’s down-at-heel Canadian National Exhibition grounds into a casino and convention haven, he seemed at a loss to name the key players in the city – or for that matter, the province – who would help do that. Even the Ford brothers seemed alien creatures to him, and this is a man who spends most of his year on the Vegas strip, where oddities abound.

“Like it or not, the city and province are about to make big decisions on casinos – and not a political soul is willing to stand up and take charge. No one has risen to ensure that casino development proposals are designed to benefit the city.”

7. Bruce A says:

Remove your cookies if you want the overrated Globe. Besides, Salutin was the only columnist who made you think and the comment numbers showed it.

Of course that means Wente stays and Salutin goes. Go figure.

8. AP says:

Sometime laziness is the catalyst needed to make major
    changes in one’s life!