10.25.2013 07:56 AM

Twenty years ago today (updated)

Thank you, Andreas Papadopoulos!

The snaps below – of the Star and Globe front pages, 20 years ago – come from Andreas’ personal collection.  Andreas had what I couldn’t find on the Internet.

Twenty years! What a night that was.  And I can’t believe how old I am.

In my advanced age, I comfort myself with being a small part of six big wins (three Chretien, three McGuinty), and a few smaller ones, too.  Time to retire. (Or do new things – stay tuned.)

1. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Brian Forbes Colgate says:

No newspaper, but the CBC ….

2. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Helpful Harry says:

NewspaperArchive.com carries some major Canadian papers.

3. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Paul McKeever says:

http://www.pagesofthepast.ca : Toronto Star archive

4. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    david ray says:

I knew it. You’re going country. Learn three new chords, win an award and then start wearing your hat indoors. Marginally better than punk and light years from rap. Good on ya 🙂

5. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Maria Papadopoulos says:

Yes – my brother keeps everything 😉

• Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
      AP says:

I plead guilty on that one!

6. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Robin says:

The 1993 victory led to political comedy in subsequent elections: I still remember Barney the Dinasour and Stockwell Day: The Flinstone’s are not a documentary. The most memorable line in political punditry (Beer and popcorn the most infamous). And, relentlessly referring to the Reform/Alliance Party to the point that sanctimonious Rod Love (the gas bag) couldn’t control himself and raged: why do you keep calling us the Reform Alliance when we are the Canadian Alliance, you don’t refer to the NDP as the CCF do you? And before you could respond, Brad Lavigne chimed in for the knock out punch: “It’s because WE are NOT running AWAY from our PAST!” Jewels. (Honourable mention: Rick Mercer changing Stockwell’s name to Doris by online petition). Those were the days!

7. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Mike Sloan says:

I remember that night so well. I was in an LPC committee room, and I couldn’t stop thinking, “the PC’s have to win a seat somewhere.”

8. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Mike Sloan says:

If I may double post on this, does anyone else remember Judy Rebick saying to Wendy Mesley, “Some of these Reform Party candidates make John Crosbie look like Gloria Steinham.” Mesley barely held it together.

9. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Mike Sloan says:

One last laugh from that night if Warren will let me. Remember Kim Campbell, the first line in her concession speech was, “I’m glad I didn’t sell my car.” LOL. What else could she say? She was the fall-lady for BM.

10. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Niall says:

Twenty years ago this week the Montreal Canadiens beat combined team of hastily assembled Toronto Marlies & Quebec Rafales players 12-2 in exhibition play.

Yawn.