Musings —02.11.2015 10:56 AM—
Look, I’m no fan of what Justin Trudeau did this week. Most real Liberals aren’t, either.
As I will opine in a column on Friday, he should have:
- Welcomed Eve Adams to the party;
- Said she was going to sit as an independent;
- Said she would be welcome to run for a nomination;
- Said she was going to get no special treatment, none; and
- Said she could join the Liberal caucus when and if she’d done the above, and won.
I’ve met her, and I actually think Eve is pretty intelligent. She’s certainly figured out a way to get an eleventh-hour lifeline thrown in her direction, which takes some strategic smarts.
You may agree with that, or not. On one thing about which we all need to agree, however: some of the criticism of her is taking on a distinctly sexist tone. Just this morning, someone commented on my Facebook page that “there’s no whore like an old whore.” Similar stuff is showing up elsewhere.
Ten years ago this Spring, we saw similar epithets flung at floor-crosser Belinda Stronach. She was called, variously, a dog, a whore, a bitch and a prostitute. Those are quotes.
We can all disapprove of what Eve Adams did, but her gender isn’t in any way relevant. Any commenter on this website who doesn’t understand that, and abide by that, will be banned.