Musings —02.12.2015 11:52 AM—
That’s what they called it, in the Watergate days: ratf**king. No less an authority than Wikipedia defines it as “an American slang term for political sabotage or dirty tricks.” Donald Segretti, forged letters, false accusations, nasty leaks, that sort of thing: ratf**king.
Which brings us, in a circuitous fashion, to Eve Adams. Justin Trudeau’s inner circle initially sought to justify the floor-crossing of one of the most dutiful members of Stephen Harper’s Talking Points Chorus as this: after a lifetime of unswerving Conservative fealty, she finally figured out that Harper’s guys are “mean-spirited” meanies, and she suddenly wanted to work with people who are nice. When that didn’t work, they said her “values simply didn’t align” with the Conservative anymore, particularly in respect of income-splitting – a policy she had been enthusiastically touting in the House of Commons a few days earlier. They tried other rationalizations, too.
None of them worked. Rank-and file Liberals are livid; the media are gleefully considering comparisons of Justin Trudeau to Stockwell Day. The long-serving Liberal MPP in her desired riding has said she’d be the Liberal candidate there “over my dead body.” The long-serving federal Liberal incumbent has said he won’t endorse her. And so on. It’s an unadulterated mess. It’s a fiasco.
Having pumped several rounds of lead into all of their extremities, Trudeau’s inner circle have been reduced to a single, solitary argument to justify Adams-gate: that her fiancé, Dimitri Soudas, is going to give the Liberals all manner of dirt about Stephen Harper and his Conservatives. He “knows where the bodies are buried,” to use the cliché du jour.
There are several problems with the notion that the Adams fiasco is somehow worth it, because her fiancé “knows where the bodies are buried.” Here they are, expressed in questions.
- Justin Trudeau has promised, repeatedly, that he would do politics differently, that he would not use negative ads, that his Liberals will stick to the high road, blah blah blah. How, then, does he justify diving into the muck, and doing what he promised he would never ever do? Is it because he is worried that Harper is getting more popular, and Trudeau less so?
- Having run out of options, it was clearly in Eve and Dimitri’s interests to intimate that they possess all manner of State secrets, hoo boy, watch out, etc. They had nowhere else to go – of course they’d be attempting to sweeten the pot, whilst holding a pair of twos. But what if what they possess is dated, or irrelevant, or wrong, or unusable? What then?
- Knowing Pseudas a little bit, as I do, I can attest to the fact he is not suicidal, whatever else he is. He knows very well the sad outcome of myriad notable floor-crossing tales over the years: Jack Horner, David Emerson, Colin Thatcher, Jean Lapierre, Gordon Wilson/Judi Tyabji, Jag Bhaduria, John Nunziata, Anna-Marie Castrilli, Jim Pankiw, Joe Peschisolido, Pat O’Brien, Tim Peterson, Wajid Khan, Danielle Smith, and on and on and on. Have the Grits considered the advisability of relying on information from a fellow who has nothing left to lose – when they, assuredly, still do?
- Having run a war room or two over the years, I verily swear the following: this Segretti-style stuff is MAD – mutually-assured destruction. You may have something on them, but they always (always) have something on you. If the Grits are so desperate as to use Dimitri’s Dirt™, are they not worried that the Conservatives possess, say, unhelpful sworn affidavits about them? Are they not concerned that, having hit below the belt first, they invite a response that is twice as bad, and in the same general area? Believe me: they should be.
- Scandal stuff doesn’t work. It just doesn’t. Voters have heard the media and the political parties scream “scandal” too many times, since Watergate. Until they see someone hauled away in handcuffs and orange overalls, they don’t believe the histrionics – cf. the by-election outcome in Sudbury, Clinton’s stratospheric post-Lewinsky numbers, Harper getting more popular after the Duffy/Wallin/Brazeau scandals, Wynne’s massive win in the midst of various (bogus) OPP investigations. Scandal stuff doesn’t work. Why does anyone think Dimitri possesses anything that somehow will?
Anyway. Apologies for the length of this, but I sometimes feel compelled, like a trained medical professional, to tend to the ravings and madness of political folks who litter the battlefield. I feel sorry for them.
The Eve Adams thing was a huge mistake, folks. Don’t make it worse with ratf**king.
Now, here, a video for your viewing pleasure.