Musings —05.11.2015 07:03 AM—
I like the writer, but this story is a pile of anti-Israel horseshit.
- Contrary to what this polemic suggests, ethnic origin was long part of the Criminal Code provision. A big factual error.
- Supporters of anti-Israel efforts are given lots of space to say whatever the Hell they want. The other side isn’t.
- The story simply does not back up the shocker of a headline, that the federal government is “threatening” critics of Israel with criminal charges. The screed is loaded with phrases and words like “could,” “would be,” “if,” “appears,” and so on. There is no proof, anywhere, that Ottawa has charged a single person or group.
- And that raises another factual error: to prosecute a hate crime, you first need the approval of the provincial Attorney General – not “Ottawa.”
- That’s not all. The CBC piece even alleges that groups and individuals are under illegal surveillance, without offering an iota of proof.
And so on, and so on.
I’m no fan of the leadership of the lead lobbyists for the Canada-Israel cause, to say the least. They – and their top lobbyist in particular – have alienated many life-long supporters of Israel, like me. I dislike him intensely.
But this CBC tale is unfair and inaccurate, and the CBC should acknowledge as much.
UPDATE: The CBC’s online editor declared I was “wrong” about all of this on Twitter. Then HuffPo let us know that CBC is quietly changing the headline on the story. I should have made a screen cap before CBC disappeared the headline!
UPDATER: And get this – the reporter wasn’t even sourcing Blaney, but some junior departmental spox!
UPDATEST: And look what was still over on NNW! The totally-bogus, totally-inaccurate original headline!