Musings —08.24.2015 07:22 AM—
- So, we got hitched down by the ocean. Nothing fancy, lots of family and friends, Hot Nasties reunion, lobster, weather was great. And I got to marry my best friend. Not bad.
- Kind messages were received from Jean Chretien, John Turner, Kathleen Wynne, Dalton McGuinty, John Tory and Laureen Harper. Thoughtful words sent along by lotsa other folks, too, of every political persuasion.
- In attendance at the wedding? Politicians, politicos, hacks and hackettes. And, between courses, there was a lot of gossip about the election taking place back home. Here’s a sampling of observations, synthesized.
- “It’s a bit like an American election.” Down here, primaries and general elections go for month after month after month. There’s tons of advertising, intermittent debates, and very little public attention paid to the proceedings. Sound familiar?
- “It’s the pre-season. Nobody’s paying attention.” Unless and until there is something to persuade them to pay attention – like an exciting candidate (Obama 2008) or a candidate to be angry about/with (Trump 2015) – Joe and Jane Frontporch are much more preoccupied with soaking up the last of summer’s rays, or getting the kids ready for school, or whatever. They simply have not clicked in to this election.
- “Trump represents a new kind of politician, like Rob Ford.” They are angry, populist, and they say whatever pops into their tiny craniums. But there is clearly a constituency for what they are saying, and how they are saying it. In the Canadian election, there is no one like them. Harper is the incumbent, Trudeau has spent more time at 24 Sussex than Harper has, and Mulcair is fully a part of the Central Canadian Establishment, however much he denies it. So who gets the growing Angry Vote?
- Anyway, gotta go. Got a tent to take down, and the remaining rentals to take back. It’s a bit foggy still, but we wish you were all here with us later on, to have a drink down on the beach, and talk politics. Have a terrific day back home. See you tomorrow.