12.22.2015 08:27 AM

Me on Q: I (sort of) hate Star Wars

Yes, yes.  I am a shit-disturber, as Bob R. says.  It’s how I roll, baby.

George says:

I agree 110% with everything you said. Nice to see we are not alone (and I suspect there are many others who feel the same.)

My disillusionment with Star Wars really started with Return of the Jedi where it was plainly obvious to me (even at a relatively young age) that the Ewoks were there solely for marketing opportunities to kids (not to mention the obvious plot hole where they could have built the shield generator in space and then built the Death Star around it…)

Those prequels had the effect of ruining any marginal interest I maintained in the nostalgia of the first two films, which really haven’t held up all that well.

Anyhow…

Merry Christmas!

Ray says:

I vote to see ‘Krampus’ instead.

doconnor says:

“…besides all of that…” everything else is pretty awesome.

My favorite part is thinking about what is the Force anyway. It has all he contemplation of a religion without the responsibility of believing it is true.

Live Long and Prosper.

Ted H says:

The Force thanks all movie consumers for their obedience this Christmas Season in bringing so much money, oops, we mean blessings to the Star Wars franchise producers and stock holders.

5. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Derek Pearce says:

Well saying the prequels and Jar Jar are awful isn’t going out on a limb, even most die hard fans would agree with you. (And likely agree that Hayden Christiansen is a terrible, terrible, very bad, not-even-campy-he’s-so-awful actor.) The Empire Strikes Back remains the best of them all. Haven’t seen the latest one– I remain skeptical.

6. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Sean says:

I used to be as big a SW fan as anyone, but that was just a weak movie. Sorry, the plot was jumpy, inconsistent and didn’t make sense.

I think my childhood officially ended Friday night, when I saw a SW film in a theater and realized I didn’t give a shit about where Luke Skywalker was hiding out.

Also not a fan of trivializing war. Its not cute, its not funny and it doesn’t end with tidy moral conclusions.

Glad to see Warren mention the racial stuff… Jar Jar, the Trade Federation, Jabba the Hut, that junk dealer in the Phantom Menace… all skating on the edges of racist stereotypes. Lets not forget that the only black male characters (Lando and Fin) are both confirmed liars and turncoats.

Looking fwd to “Concussion”.

7. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Mapsonburt says:

I’m with you Warren. I’m a Trekkie instead.

8. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    MississaugaPeter says:

Saw The Force Awakens opening night (last Thursday) with two of my sons. Snuck into Mockingjay Part 2 afterwards. All three of us thought it was better than the Star Wars flick.

Better to watch Star Wars IV, V, VI together than this piece of incoherent crap.

Really strange that when I attended Star Wars I, II, and III opening nights, people clapped. No one did Thursday night.

• Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
      Matt says:

They clapped at the end 1, 2, and 3 because the movies ended.

The only good thing about Episode 3 was we got to see how Anikin became Vader.

Hayden Christiansen made Keanu Reeves look like Sir Lawrence Olivier with his performance.

Matt says:

Should have been Anakin.

MississaugaPeter says:

Everyone is so hard on I, II, III, but at least there was a story and I thought there was plenty of action and special effects.

Did you see VII yet?

9. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Matt says:

I’m a Star Wars fan, and a Star Trek fan but only the Original Series.

10. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Kaplan says:

You’re such a punk rawk contrarian. Always against the grain.

Warren says:

I can’t help myself.

11. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Christian says:

Screw Star Trek. Here’s the REAL deal.

Would any of those stiff CONFORMIST Starfleet Captains come in playing a guitar (and yes Peter Capaldi is actually playing it and had a punk band in the early ’80s with Craig Ferguson – google it) on a tank? Nope! Stiff bunch of corportists. The Doctor is the true punk!

12. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Jeff says:

I’ll help you out with this one. Star Trek is prog rock. Star Wars (the original trilogy) is punk rock. (Spector adds strings to the Ramones=Phantom Menace etc.).

Star Trek is a concept, nothing more. At its worst, it is sci-fi masturbation.

Star Wars is a great story. It’s the meaty chords. It cuts to the punch. It is urgent.

Even the eras or their releases work for this. They are products of their pop ages.

And is there studio wizardry and cleverness with Star Wars? Of course, of course. So, think London Calling more than, say, Never Mind the Bollocks.

13. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    MonteCristo says:

Yes, Yes, Yes…stop the madness!!!

Enough of the sequels, prequels and whatever else, this horse is dead stop the whipping…

14. Notice: Undefined offset: 180 in /nfs/c05/h06/mnt/72829/domains/warrenkinsella.com/html/wp-content/themes/warroom/functions.php on line 314
    Adam says:

Well, I agree with you that the original Starwars films were pretty bad. Contra a common comment here and elsewhere, all three original films were for kids! So I get annoyed when people complain that JarJar andthe Ewoks are somehow new sins introduced into the films to attract kids when from the beginning the films were set up to attract kids. The original trilogy is crap, the prequels are crap – there is nothing wrong with enjoying childish crap as an adult, but dont complain about the young generation enjoying different childish crap.