Musings —06.19.2016 08:54 AM—
It was bumpy.
They’re a new government, and they often looked like it. C-14, in particular, was not their finest hour. At different points, it was:
- The elbowgate thing, which planted a seed of doubt about Justin Trudeau
- The Motion Six thing, which made them look a bit autocratic
- The hasty withdrawal of Motion Six thing, which simultaneously made them look a bit weak
- The Senate standoff thing, which reminded everyone what an utter disgrace the aptly-named Red Chamber is
- The inability to meet the Supreme Court deadline thing, which was a stupid deadline anyway
And so on. C-14 aside, Trudeau performed well on the international stage, there were no ministerial scandals, the honeymoon proved durable. Not bad.
The Opposition? Neither party has a permanent leader, but that’s okay. Revealingly, perhaps, the Tories adapted quickly to their new role, while the Dippers (revealingly) are trapped in their usual existential debate without end. Plus ca change, etc.
What do you think, Dear Reader? What were the highlights and the lowlights?