Musings —11.29.2016 05:16 PM—
A dishonest non-entity who is running for the Conservative Party leadership has a strategy: to yank every fire alarm she comes across. Her latest stunt? Kill the CBC.
She’s lying, of course. She was previously in power for many years, and did nothing – absolutely nothing – about the CBC. In fact, she made certain to appear on CBC as often as possible – more than most of her colleagues. She’s lying.
So, I won’t even dignify her, or her proposal, by using her name. But I give her credit: she’s got the mouth-breathing types braying and screeching about the CBC. Again.
Now, back when Sun News Network was around, I used to go on there all the time to say how much I loved the CBC. My objective was to give my pal Brian Lilley the vapours, and I think I succeeded.
But, like it or not, the “whither the CBC” debate is upon us, again. So, I thought I’d stake out my own position. Here, then, is my ten-point list about why I adore the CBC. Clip and save.
- The CBC is one of the few things I pay the government for that I like.
- The CBC is one of the only things I pay government for that isn’t subject to taxes and user fees after the fact.
- The CBC goes where the private sector folks don’t, and won’t (ever).
- The CBC is the only institution – and I include government in this sweeping generalization – that provides Canadians with a true sense of the rest of the country.
- The CBC does mostly good shows – personally, I think the morning radio side of the business is really, really good.
- The CBC is popular – it cleans up with the aforementioned morning radio shows in just about every market, for instance, because everyone agrees their product is simply a lot better than the competition.
- The CBC is giving us solid news coverage when the self-bonusing bastards at Postmedia, et al. are closing up shop everywhere.
- The CBC is particularly needed when we are more at risk at being swamped by the cultural juggernaut to the South than ever before.
- The CBC’s supporters, like Friends of the CBC, have done the polling – and the research shows the vast majority of Canadians value the CBC (and particularly its local content), big time.
- The CBC provides value – and, apart from health care and the CBC, I don’t feel like I get much back anymore.
Now, various assholes will say I’m saying all this stuff because I’m a writer for CBC. Well, I’m not. (I did one thing for them, and I don’t presently plan to again – among other things, I get more than 3.5 million visitors on this wee web site every year, inter alia.)
Anyway. The CBC is here to stay, dishonest CPC leadership candidates notwithstanding. Because, basically, there’s more of us than there are of her.