Musings —11.30.2016 08:47 AM—
There’s this take on pipelines, as related by the Ventures:
And there’s this take which I would have related on CP24 if they hadn’t cancelled to talk about the Ontario Auditor-General’s report instead:
- pipelines are safer than transporting via rail, cf. Lac Megantic
- pipelines have 500 per cent fewer accidents/spills than the alternatives, cf. this
- our economy is in big trouble without ’em, cf. this op-ed
- as long as we have oil and gas in everyday life, we need ’em, cf. this website
- this ain’t about politics – New Democrats, Liberals and Conservatives all agree we need ’em, cf. this
Does that mean every proposed pipeline should be approved? Of course not. Trudeau appropriately turned down Northern Gateway, just as the Dakota Access Pipeline should be (but won’t be, by a racist president-to-be).
Oil is being transported via rail right through Toronto neighbourhoods, including two blocks from my house, several times a day. I’d like that to stop, thanks.
Oh, and good luck in getting the Ventures lick out of your head. It’s a keeper.