Musings —10.05.2017 07:05 AM—
She’s a disaster, but you knew that already.
From the Canada Day fiasco, to these:
- Globe: “Her fall from grace in her home province has been swift and merciless, sped by her maladroit attempts to sell a deal with Netflix…”
- National Post: “[Joly] she has been savaged in Quebec media, artistic and political circles.”
- Globe: “The Minister has been roasted and ridiculed to her face on live radio and TV, and dismissed by commentators of all stripes as naive and – worst of all – unable even to understand what the fuss is about.”
- Québec’s culture minister: Joly makes him “speechless and angry…[she] legitimizes a fiscal inequity which grants preferential treatment to a foreign company over Canadian companies.”
- Globe: “No magic will restore Ms. Joly’s footing…She needs to stop making rookie mistakes and start thinking about policy in terms of clear rules that make sense from every angle, not just one.”
- Gerald Fillion, Radio-Canada: “You [Joly] are not hearing us.”
- Paul Arcand, 98.5FM: “You can’t be naïve and sign blank cheques for American multinationals…[Joly] is a nice cassette.”
- Sophie Pregent of Union des Artistes: “She underestimated the furor in the industry, on the ground. I think she didn’t see it coming.”
- Michael Harris, iPolitics: “Joly’s medicine worse than the disease…[Joly’s policy] is absurdity in hot pursuit of farce.”
- Journal de Montreal: “[Joly has engaged in] dereliction of duty.”
- Richard Martineau, Journal columnist: “[Joly sounds] like a living answering machine having a nervous breakdown.”
- Tout le monde en parle: “She makes us fucking angry.”
Wow! Great job, Minister Cassette!
But she wasn’t done. No, Melanie Joly and her whiz-bang staff weren’t finished alienating millions of Canadians. No, just a few days ago, Joly’s department approved a Holocaust monument plaque…that doesn’t mention Jews.
In Justin Trudeau’s Canada the new Holocaust Monument plaque doesn’t mention Jews, Anti-Semitism or the 6 Million. pic.twitter.com/byPGME6V6S
— Senator Linda Frum (@LindaFrum) October 3, 2017
Joly’s Holocaust memorial fiasco attracted headlines around the world. It made Canada look ridiculous, or grossly insensitive, or both.
Joly hastily announced that the plaque would be replaced, but the damage had been done.
So, again, we ask: does Melanie Joly have photos of the Prime Minister in a compromising situation? Because there no longer is any rational explanation for her have “P.C.” appended to her name.