04.09.2021 10:01 AM

RIP, you old codger

That’s him on the right. Only stamp issued featuring the two of them, says my friend David Akin.

1. Pipes says:

Dude had a good run.

2. WestGuy says:

He had the best quotes.

3. I will pay H.R.H. Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh the highest compliment I can think of: he did his Duty.

4. Phil Brunet says:

In light of the multiple electoral miscreants that have forever plagued us, Captain Sootpuss not the least of them, the Duke’s career demonstrates that random votes cast by plebes on the Aventine are in no wise a guaranteed improvement over the accidents of birth.

5. hugh says:

I met him in 2000 while doing public duties in London, a very nice person.
    RIP to the Colonel-in-Chief of The RCR, Pro Patria!

6. Steve Teller says:

As one might expect these days, there are already Tic-Tok videos being made of certain things Phillip said during his life that were politically incorrect. My daughters told me about the videos.

I asked them what else they knew about Phillip. Not much, other than he was the Queen’s husband. So that’s what society has become now – ignore someone’s entire 99 year life of service, so you can get 15 seconds of fame with a Tic-Tok video that shows how woke you are. Never mind whose name you ruin.

When woke-ness matters most, and society rewards it, that’s all you’ll get from people.

• Ronald O'Dowd says:

Steve,

Not really. What’s really at play is the constant dumbing down of society that has been on an increasing trajectory ever since the 1960s. With each passing generation, descendants become more fundamentally ignorant and intellectually provincial. That’s the s0-called modern mindset at work and I don’t see it reversing anytime soon.

• Phil Brunet says:

A stretch of living in such straights as Generalissimo Castro-Sinclair would have us enjoy, were he to really get his way, might well be the thing to induce in Canadians exactly the sort of reflection they would rather at present defer. Another trillion on the debt pile should do the trick.

7. Pipes says:

From my memory, it goes something like this-“if you see a man open a car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.”

• Ronald O'Dowd says:

Pipes,

I did that all the time in my grandmother’s day but after that, no woman would have anything to do with it.