Tory’s top campaign guy is Nick Kouvalis. Nick gets paid lots of money by Tory, who has taken on a more and more prominent role in the mayoralty candidate’s campaign, just as others have drifted away. So he’s not irrelevant. Repellant, maybe, but not irrelevant.
Kouvalis is the guy who makes the Tory campaign nervous. None of the other people there have been charged criminally with making death threats, nor found guilty of serial ethical violations by a respected marketing association, nor acted as Rob Ford’s friend, campaign manager and Chief of Staff. Nick Kouvalis has done all of those things.
Now, there’s a new bad thing to add to the list. Kouvalis has taken to promoting the words of actual white supremacists. Seriously.
On Friday, Kouvalis started publicizing the thoughts of “Five Feet of Fury,” Kathy Shaidle, on social media. Who’s she, you ask? Well, she’s a bigot, and is known widely to be a bigot; she’s so bad, Sun News won’t even let her on-air. Here’s some of her own words, as captured by Scott Tribe and others:
- On Muslims: “…your religion is fucking retarded…ungrateful foreign savages…These are people who love watching beheading videos on the internet…A sick, sick religion. Basically Scientology with bombs. Pathetic whiny losers.”
- On Muslim and Pakistani immigrants: “Muslims…most of them can’t even read…What we really need to do is stop immigration from Pakistan and other crazy Muslim countries filled with illiterate, violent tribal peasants…”
- On Muslim children: they are “parasites.”
- On a group of Muslim students who object to some statements by Mark Steyn: they are “motherfucking parasites.”
- On Muslims: “Muslims always have to be on top, in reverse proportion to their ability to do anything with competence or creativity.”
- On aboriginal people: they are “parasites” who “extorted tax dollars [for] booze, smokes and junk food. Not to mention free everything else, including university educations they don’t bother getting.”
- On blacks: “…there is nothing ‘compelling’ about a black man impregnating a white woman. In more than one Toronto neighbourhood, that’s what they call Saturday night.”
- On the only people who can get excited about Barack Obama: “black, stupid or both.”
- On Jamaicans: “Just think of how much Jamaican immigrants contribute to our culture and economy: monotonous, illiterate music that all sounds the same, filthy hairstyles, those little tricoloured Rasta doohickies.”
- On the blacks of New Orleans: they are “pathetic losers” who cannot have their IQs raised “a single point.”
- On the poor: they are poor because they are “too lazy and stupid to a) finish high school and/or b) keep their pants on.…I don’t care about the poor. They’re no more real than Bigfoot.”
- On AIDS: “From the beginning, AIDS activism has been more about mainstreaming the gay “lifestyle” than saving lives.”
- On Sikhs: “Backward foreigners [who] shit on hand that feeds them…Unable to invent their own iconic product due to too much time spent worshipping monkeys and cows, setting women on fire and obsessing over imperceptible differences in each other’s skin colour…”
- On blind people: “Giving blind people real jobs…is not working out.”
- On Chinese: “[They are] spitting and shooting snot on the sidewalk…throwing broken crates of rotten bock choy all over Spadina Avenue [and] eating dubious, illegal foodstuffs” [and cause SARS.]
I don’t believe for a minute that John Tory would be indifferent to any of the filth captured above, in the way that Sick Nick is.
But there’s a curious dynamic developing, just the same, where Tory is ready to look in the other direction while bad stuff is done in his name. He wants to win that bad. He did the same thing from 2010 to 2013, when he was Ford Nation’s most ardent cheerleader. Now, he’s doing it again with Nick.
John will try and ignore all of this, or – if asked – he will say it’s guilt by association, blah blah blah. But I think most people understand that you are, indeed, the company you keep. And, so, some of us plan to ensure that every Muslim, aboriginal, Sikh, gay, blind, Chinese and poor person in Toronto knows the sorts of things being done in your name, John. We’ve got the resources to do it.
You lay down with dogs, John, you get fleas.