“Warren Kinsella's book, ‘Fight the Right: A Manual for Surviving the Coming Conservative Apocalypse,’ is of vital importance for American conservatives and other right-leaning individuals to read, learn and understand.”
- The Washington Times
“One of the best books of the year.”
- The Hill Times
“Justin Trudeau’s speech followed Mr. Kinsella’s playbook on beating conservatives chapter and verse...[He followed] the central theme of the Kinsella narrative: “Take back values. That’s what progressives need to do.”
- National Post
“[Kinsella] is a master when it comes to spinning and political planning...”
- George Stroumboulopoulos, CBC TV
“Kinsella pulls no punches in Fight The Right...Fight the Right accomplishes what it sets out to do – provide readers with a glimpse into the kinds of strategies that have made Conservatives successful and lay out a credible roadmap for progressive forces to regain power.”
- Elizabeth Thompson, iPolitics
“[Kinsella] deserves credit for writing this book, period... he is absolutely on the money...[Fight The Right] is well worth picking up.”
- Huffington Post
“Run, don't walk, to get this amazing book.”
- Mike Duncan, Classical 96 radio
“Fight the Right is very interesting and - for conservatives - very provocative.”
- Former Ontario Conservative leader John Tory
“His new book is great! All of his books are great!”
- Tommy Schnurmacher, CJAD
“I absolutely recommend this book.”
- Paul Wells, Maclean’s
“Kinsella puts the Left on the right track with new book!”
- Calgary Herald
…for wilfully distributing hate propaganda, here.
Warman filed his human rights complaint single-handedly, but said he has the support of a coalition of Your Ward News opponents, including former Canadian Jewish Congress CEO Bernie Farber, political consultant and writer Warren Kinsella and his wife, former political staffer Lisa Kinsella. (A recent issue of Your Ward News called Warren Kinsella “Satan’s Little Helper.”)
The coalition comes from a broad range of political backgrounds, but they are united by their opposition to the “racist, anti-Semitic” publication, Lisa Kinsella told the Star.“We want Your Ward News out of our mailboxes,” she said.
A spokesperson for the Canadian Human Rights Commission said the body could not comment on ongoing complaints, but added that typically a complaint is either resolved by the complainant on their own or investigated by the commission. If the commission sees fit, a complaint will be taken to a human rights tribunal, which decides whether an act of discrimination has taken place.
In 2015, owner and publisher St. Germaine told the Star that Your Ward News had a circulation of 50,000. Last week, he claimed it was 300,000.
(I laughed at the parenthetical reference. Is that better than what the Kim Campbell Tories called me, “The Prince of Darkness?”)
Next up: why hasn’t the Toronto Police Service acted on this? Is it because, as Black Lives Matter allege, elements there are indifferent to racism and hate?
More coverage, here and here and here – and there was a huge amount of coverage on CITY-TV, here.
More to come, including Canada AM Monday morning. STAMP out the racist, homophobic, Islamaphobic, misogynistic, Holocaust-denying Your Ward News!
Wake at cabin this morn to see (a) open cabinet (b) open bag of dog bones and (c) Daisy looking completely innocent. Hmm.
For immediate release April 22, 2016
ANTI-RACIST COALITION APPLAUDS HUMAN RIGHTS COMPLAINT
TORONTO – Don’t help spread hate.
That’s the message to Canada Post and the Government of Canada: stop helping to distribute a racist, homophobic, misogynistic, Islamaphobic and anti-Semitic tabloid to the homes of thousands of Toronto residents.
The broad coalition of citizens and anti-racism activists – which doesn’t have a name yet – welcomed the action of Ottawa human rights lawyer Richard Warman, who today formally filed a complaint that Canada Post and the federal government have violated multiple sections of the Canadian Human Rights Act. Warman’s complaint can be viewed here.
“Richard Warman is one of the most successful human rights litigants in Canadian history,” said Bernie Farber, Executive Director of the Mosaic Institute. “He has won a dozen human rights cases he brought against various neo-Nazis, white supremacists and hate groups. We are very confident that Richard will be successful when this complaint is heard.”
For months, the coalition of citizens and activists have been trying to lobby Canada Post and Judy Foote, the minister responsible, to stop distributing a tabloid called Your Ward News. Reportedly distributed to nearly 80,000 homes in Toronto, Your Ward News regularly promotes Holocaust denial, anti-gay and anti-women hate, and flagrant racism. Canada Post has refused to act, however, and the Crown corporation has continued to take undisclosed sums to distribute the hateful rag to people who don’t want it.
The postal corporation has threatened to discipline or dismiss Canada Post workers who object to delivering the extremist tabloid. CUPW earlier this month filed a Regular Grievance with their employer over being forced to deliver “an anti-worker, anti-people, racist, sexist and homophobic publication.”
Your Ward News is edited by James Sears, who has in the past pleaded guilty to sexual assault, and lost his licence to practice medicine for sexually assaulting patients. Sears is an unabashed Hitler enthusiast, and has called the gas chambers at Auschwitz a “lie.” Other contributors to Your Ward News include Gary Schipper, a former leader of the neo-Nazi Heritage Front, who served time in jail for refusing to take down the Front’s telephone hate messages.
“It is outrageous that Canada Post and those responsible in government have turned a blind eye to the hatred that is found on every page of Your Ward News,” said Warren Kinsella, a lawyer and resident of the Beach who wrote the book Web of Hate. “We have tried repeatedly to get them to act, but they have refused. We are hopeful that Richard’s formal human rights complaint will help change that.”
The coalition is made up of a diverse group:
• Walied Soliman, a lawyer at Norton Rose Fulbright
• Jaime Watt, chairman of Navigator Ltd. and a leader in the Toronto LGBT community
• Lisa Kinsella, Executive Vice President of the Daisy Group
• Bernie Farber, Executive Director of the Mosaic Institute and former CEO of Canadian
• Derek Richmond, Third Vice President, CUPW Scarborough Local
• Barbara Joy, public and government relations consultant and East Toronto resident
• John Wright, pollster and public affairs executive
• Ian Davey, former Chief of Staff to the Federal Leader of the Opposition
• Jill Fairbrother, principal of Fairbrother and Partners Inc.
• Kelly Fairchild, a feminist and East Toronto resident who has organized a petition
against the hate rag
• Judy Csillag, Canadian Race Relations Foundation
– 30 –
For further information, contact:
While myriad controversies—always nouns, always with “gate” appended as a suffix—always transfix the commentariat, they always leave Mr. and Mrs. Frontporch cold. The Duffy “scandal” is no exception.
That is because scandal-mongering, like the Senate itself, is a thankless task (and taskless thanks). With perhaps the notable historic exception of the Watergate break-in, it doesn’t really work anymore.
There are three reasons why:
1. The media/political punditocracy refer to everything, pretty much, as a scandal.
2. Regrettably, if you were to ask Joe and Jane Frontporch—and someone really should, one of these days—they would tell you: they already believe that everyone who wields power in Ottawa/Washington/wherever is an unindicted co-conspirator, i.e., a crook. Ipso facto, news reports to the effect that a politician has allegedly committed theft, fraud, and breach of trust aren’t news at all. They are, instead, like weather reports: they happen every day, they are rarely good news, and there is nothing Joe and Jane can do about them.
3. Joe and Jane Frontporch have heard the hysteria and histrionics about “scandals” way, way too many times. Way. And, consequently, they now don’t believe any of it until the good Senator is led away in handcuffs and a fetching orange pantsuit.
In the real world, the real scandals are things like not having a job, and being unable to pay the bills. The real scandals are seeing your ailing parent curled up on a bed in a hospital corridor, waiting days to get seen by a doctor. The real scandals are governments spending untold billions on security—only to thereafter shrug when some deranged, lone wolf fanatic slips through their labyrinth of scanners and spies, and commit terrible crimes.
Those things, to Joe and Jane Frontporch, are the real scandals.
Not, to put a fine point on it, Mike Duffy. That, they feel, is just another sad case of Ottawa talking about Ottawa—and not the real scandals, in the real world.
Snippet from next week’s Hill Times column. I’m getting…concerned.
…here was the highest office in the land, issuing an official-looking media statement beneath the Great Seal of Canada, no less, that “The Prime Minister will train at Gleason’s Gym.” No questions, just be there to take his picture. Don’t be late.
Some of us, sitting in the cheap seats outside the ring, have written about Justin Trudeau’s sheer mastery of image. In my view, there is no politician alive who is as adept at visuals. Words equal information, but pictures equal power, and Justin Trudeau – grinning out at us on the cover of GQ, this week – knows that better than anyone.
But are you starting to feel, like me, that this stuff is getting pushed a bit too far? That there is a danger, here, that he is dancing too close to the klieg lights, and is about to fall into the orchestra pit?
Image from this morning’s Twitter feed of YWN editor James Sears, a.k.a., “Dimitri the Lover.”
The latest on Your Ward News, the racist, homophobic, misogynistic, Holocaust-Denying neo-Nazi rag that Canada Post distributes over half of Toronto:
- Opposition is growing, and the ad hoc effort against the “newspaper” and Canada Post now involves everyone from longtime prominent Conservatives to the NDP and organized labour
- The Toronto Police Service and the minister responsible, Judy Foote, have offered no help whatsoever – but other police agencies, and other Liberals, are actively working to stop Canada Post’s wilful dissemination of hate
- Many legal/political initiatives are underway, with more to come – and groups ranging from Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Centre for Holocaust Studies to the National Council of Canadian Muslims are actively lending support
- A local feminist organizer has put together a petition, below, to be presented in the Ontario Legislature by Liberal MPP Arthur Potts and in the Commons by Liberal MP Nate Erskine-Smith…print it off and get others to sign, then scan and send to me here!